• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

How far gone is too far gone?

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Hello! First off I would like to introduce myself. I am fairly new to this site, and recently purchased one of MrBeeps's fleet. It is from Indiana,and has about a three foot section of the inner frame rusted away on the drivers side, but it looks totally repairable. It has what is probably a typical seriously rusty body from roads where they use salt in the winter. The good news is that it is relatively unmolested original, and after a tune up, team rush upgrade, and a carb rebuild she runs extremely well. Since I needed the ability to move her in and out of my garage, I have completed replacing the brakes, and gas tank. I plan to replace all lines, stripping it to the frame and refinishing it. I have always wanted one, but this is my first CJ8. I have restored 2 YJ's over the last few years and actually drive one daily. The other was lost in an accident two years ago (long story for another day).
Anyway...I have been googling, searching, calculating and scratching my head over the last month whether to try to buy panels to replace the seriously rusty floor, quarter, bed,and wheel wells of my 8, or to save up for a new steel tub(this might take awhile as I have a daughter in college). I am an OK welder, but never have attempted body work. I am open for suggestions from all. Jsherb's "gaucho thread" makes it all look so easy :) I have to say I enjoy the posts and information on this forum, and look forward to hearing from you.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Welcome

Welcome to the board! It's good to see you on here.

Jason Adams (Chiefwahoo) our SOA VP makes the lazar cut frame plates that fit perfectly and are an exact duplicate of all the holes & slots, only stronger. relatively easy to install also.

I'm sure you'll fit in here, lots of good people here.

:wave:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
I saw the Chief Waho plates mentioned in several posts. Once I get it torn down, I'll be looking into those! Thanks Toby!

deputydawg

Basic User
City
durham
State
ct
frame rot

I saw the Chief Waho plates mentioned in several posts. Once I get it torn down, I'll be looking into those! Thanks Toby!

dmok i was able to patch that very same frame rot with a junk yj frame.. i made cardboard template matched it up to the wrangler frame .. cut it out and welded it in .. the shape of the wrangler frame is almost dead on..
the gauge and bent radius are exact making it an invisable repair.. some cuts and pie cutting will be needed

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
That is an fantastic idea deputydawg! I was thinking of having a steel shop fabricate a patch, but I might be able to locate the area of the frame I need. Thank you!

Anyone have any thoughts for the body rebuild / replace?

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
i do have pictures i just need to figure out how to post them!

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Good for you, they came out good. I would have fun with that.:D

BedRepairJigJPG-1.jpg

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
So you think repair the tub instead of replace??

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
So you think repair the tub instead of replace??

That is really not enough pictures to decide.......It all depends on your skills, time, money and whether or not can find a tub in good shape for a reasonable price.

If you enjoy doing things that you may have never done before, want to learn new skills and have less money than time then go for it. I started with a tub that needed work and would not trade the experience for anything. I first purchased a 60 gal. aircompressor for around $300 and inexpensive air tools from harbour frieght then went to town. Have done a little welding here and there. Never done any painting with a spray gun and loved every minute of it. You will get a great feeling of accomplishment when done. It will not be cheap no matter which way you go, it all adds up very quickly. I am not disappointed at all that I would never get what I have put in it.

racinrudy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Findlay
State
Oh
WELCOME:wave:

There is at least one big well known, long standing Jeep shop in the country that does a lot of high end Scramblers and will replace or patch everything with metal almost no matter how badly rusted it is initially

The idea is that you can pay say...$7k for something starting to rust everywhere and you can't stop it OR pay $2k and blast it and patch it all...well.

Just different philosophy's to consider. Good patch panels here....

http://www.classicent.com/jeep.php

Rudy

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
Lifetime Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Wow. I guess I'll quit griping about 100 degrees in the summer. My 92 YJ is rust free. I actually grew up in Northern IN and Southern MI and I guess I've lived in the south long enough to forget about cars rusting on the showroom floor. You guys must buy PB Blaster in 55 Gal drums! I do believe I am going to tackle it one panel at a time!

Altitude

Legacy Registered User
City
Moncton
State
nb
Ill be doing the same thing in a few weeks.
Ive never rebuilt anything and this is a challenge and learning experience. I can weld a little. Jeeps are pretty straight and easy from what i hear. Take your time and savour this.