• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

How long is your traction bar?

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
Got a Blue Torch Fab traction bar bracket on my rear 14 bolt, but trying to decide on how long of a traction bar to put on the jeep.

I have heard longer is better (yeah, yeah, insert your funny joke here:rolleyes: ) but I was wondering if there is an optimal length or seeing what has worked for you guys.

I think I can make one myself, as I have been doing a bunch of welding lately and am getting better all the time!

Thanks!
-Mike

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
I would think that one that matches the forward length of you springs would be best.

If you can estimate the point that the axel sweps through then make the forward end of the bar swivel pass through that point. Obviously it will never be exactly at that point depending on how the axels are moving side to side. but that is the purpose of the shakle that flexes from the frame to the upper joint.

Carl

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Mine is about 33'' from the 14b to the front of it where i have it mounted. It seems to work well, although i've been told i don't need it since i have new Alcan Springs back there.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
40"

Lower, part of the "triangle" It attaches to the frame right behind the T-Case.
There is some engineering involved when figuring out where you attach the anti-wrap bar, if you put it up to high or to low yoou get anti-wrap or squat (back of vehicle squats down when under load) conditions, mine tends to have anti-squat (***-end raises when it's under load).

Even with heavy duty springs with SOA it is a good idea to have an antiwrap bar.

Good luck!

Here's some old pictures, the Antiwrap is from when I had a Ford 9" Rear Axle,

attachment.php

the bracket is what my buddy made for me,

attachment.php

it is welded to the frame and plug welded on as well, it's held up now for 3-4 years.

Last edited:

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
Mine is 45" long...................runs to just behind the skid plate at the rear of the transfercase,got to remember that i moved my rearend back about 6" also.............hung it off a shackle with poly bushings on either side of the hiem joint.........may have to change that but wanted to see if it would let it have a little more flex without binding the joint or shackle.

Last edited:

ibscrmbln

Ken Waters
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Topeka
State
KS
I have just completed one and it is 39.5". I also have Alcans and a hybrid 9" axle and was getting some mild axle wrap. It will probably not get tested out until the Moab EJS in about 3 weeks. Used a johnny joint at the shackle end and mounted the shackle hanger right (1.5" to 2") behind the t/c. My AW4 tranny is about 5" longer that the stock T5 and the TF999 or I would have made it even longer.

Later, Ken

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
Does that make me a winner since i have the longest one..........:D

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
mulescj8 said:

What's that make me? I have the shortest one, maybe i need to re-measure! :eek:

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
mulescj8 said:
Only took six replies before someone couldn't resist making a joke! I'm surprised we got that far!:D :D

Thanks for all the replies.

Does it make a difference if the shackle is pointing up or down? I see Mark's is attached to the frame at the top of the the shackle and the bar is attached at the bottom of the shackle. I seem to remember seeing others where the shackle was atached to the frame at the bottom and the bar was above that.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I think the most important thing is where the point of the "triangle" is pointing to (above, center, below) the plane of the output shaft on the T-case, that is where you get the Wrap characteristics I was attempting to describe.

Ken, I'd suggest testing out your rear suspension flex before you go out wheeling. I had a lot of issues with crappy flex in the rear until I adjusted the tightness of my shackle bolts. Make them as loos as possible otherwise you might not have very good movement back there, It would suck to have bad flex in Moab :rolleyes:

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
Mine is hung with the shackle going up and the bar is mounted to the top of the shackle.............same way my other set was and it worked good......I might have to tweak on it some after i get everything running......we will see.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
Pics

here is pics of my set up:
attachment.php

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK