how much lift?

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
I've decided to put some lift on my jeep. Right now it has no lift, and it's riding on Pro Comp fatties - 31" x 12.50"s. How much lift would you guys recommend to give it a better look, without any necessary drive train changes?

2" , more? Not looking to enhance off road capabilities, purely to improve the look.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If you're still on your original springs, keep in mind that they've sagged, probably a lot. If you went to new stock spec springs, it'd look like you lifted it, compared to now. Keep that in mind with whatever you decide. If you're sticking with the 31's, a new set of stockers would be just fine. Definitely no more than 2.5" and you're 31's will look undersized, probably.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I agree with everything John wrote. BTW, 2-2.5" of lift looks great with 33's, so your 31's will be fine with a stock spring.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Yep,
Ditto from above + one more suggestion.
If you go with some new stock springs and still think it isn't quite enough, you can just add some taller shackles and get a little more lift without any modifications elsewhere. Maybe try some new stock springs keeping the stock shackles at first, then upgrade to a taller shackle if you want just a little more.

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
good suggestions gentlemen. I didn't even think about new springs giving the jeep some lift, not to mention being maintenance that's probably well overdue.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
A 1" body lift doesn't look bad and will give you a little more clearance, too. Plus, like the springs, if they're the originals, I'm sure they're worn out, too.

D2ride

Flatlander lookin 4hills
City
wetumpka
State
AL
I know ive seen some one inch lift springs before,I think super lift has them ,that way when they sag again your still at near stock height.

*JOKER*

Basic User
City
Norfolk
State
VA
No...no...no...

Worm, you're supposed to ask if you can fit 37s with a 2.5" lift.

Everyone else, YOU are supposed to use profanity to suggest he's less of a man because he's not willing to go SOA, comp cut his body or drop in a Chevy 502 crate engine.

Yeeeesh....the amount of self-esteem here is killing me!

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
I've already been "shamed"

Joker, I've already been shamed by one statement more than all the guys on here could come up with. One day my wife mentioned to me that she hadn't seen me working on the jeep in while. I said yeah, but I'm thinking about putting some lift on it, make it sit a little higher off the ground. And she says .............."yeah, it is a little bit wimpy right now":eek:

The main reason I don't want to go with significantly larger tires (besides the fact that the one's on it now are brand new) is that I have 4cyl / 4spd combination. Don't you think sizing up on tires would start to stress this motor/tranny combination?

*JOKER*

Basic User
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Don't you think sizing up on tires would start to stress this motor/tranny combination?
There you go...making rational decisions again. Ya know, you're never going to break stuff and spend a lot of money if you don't ignore common sense like that. What kind of rapidly-approaching-middle-age adolescent are you???

In all seriousness, that 4 cylinder is saving you thousands! Keep it simple! It might look whimpy to her, but manly gets expensive.

Besides, it doesn't look whimpy at all.