• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

How to fix this tub?

rcork

CJ-8 Member
City
Cape Girardeau
State
MO
Gents,
I am in the middle of restoring my 83. I know, I really should be writing a full build like so many of you do, and maybe I will someday. I've been taking pictures along the way, many pictures, but sometimes I wish I had just a few more.
Anyway, I've reached to point that I have to decide what to do with the tub. I really want to keep this thing as original as possible, but I guess I'm not totally against buying a new tub, if it's basically perfect.
The question, is this tub worth fixing with new repair panels? Or should I be looking for a new tub? I have most of the tools I would need for doing the repairs, but I'm afraid I would spend at least a year working on it based on what I've seen on these forums. And I've never done body work so it intimidates me.
The black areas are POR 15 from years ago that I painted on to stop the rust that was happening. POR 15 did a really good job.

Thanks,
Robert

Attachments

• IMG_7214 (1).jpg
    IMG_7214 (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7215 (1).jpg
    IMG_7215 (1).jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7216 (1).jpg
    IMG_7216 (1).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7221 (1).jpg
    IMG_7221 (1).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7222 (1).jpg
    IMG_7222 (1).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7223 (1).jpg
    IMG_7223 (1).jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 117

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Wow, so parts of the US that may be considered bad, but feom what I can see on my phone, that tub looks pretty good, at least by North east standards. Fix it

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
In the photos looks pretty solid. Sand blast, prime and then decide if it meets the goals of your project.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I think you should sell me your old tub and buy a brand new one. That way you have piece of mind that you have a 100 percent rust free metal and I score a tub, 4 times better then mine. Its a win, win for both of us. Besides, I love doing sheet metal work and you don't. Think about it. :cheers:

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
I'll second what rubcit said, looks like a very repairable tub from what I can see. Finding a rust free oem tub is nearly impossible unless you buy a compete vehicle. MD Juan replacement tubs still have their issues from my understanding and are $4000.00 .But if you decide to sell, put me 2nd in line behind masscj2a.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Yeah, but some new replacement panels from ClassicEnt and have at it... my tub was in a lot worse shape and I was able to get all the panels and repair/replace.

cb

ece3af402a428f7a3767408b8c4069b2-1.jpg

rcork

CJ-8 Member
City
Cape Girardeau
State
MO
Thanks Guys,
Your right I need to just quit whining and start drilling spot welds. Masscj2a is right, i don't think I like doing body work because I have never tried. But from everything I read the repo tubs are not that great either.
I'll keep you guys in mind if I decide to sell this one.
Thanks,
Robert