How to properly secure a child seat in the rear bench seat?

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Ok folks, for the last couple of months I have been installing a rear seat and belts in the back of my Scrambler in hopes of being able to install a car seat with a five point harness for my 5 year old daughter. I am happy with the security of the Bestop fold and tumble seat and with where I have mounted the lap belts. The problem first came up when I tried to cinch down the simple lap belt to secure the 3 in 1 booster seat we have. I pulled and pulled on the seat belt and was able to tighten it down pretty good, but the base of the car seat had about 6 inches of movement front to back...not good.

I then went to the internet and found a universal "LATCH" system mount that slips through the seat to give you three points of attachment for the seat. I was able to use this system to install the seat much tighter and much more securely, but alas, I still have about 2 to 3 inches of movement with the base of the seat. The back of the seat is pretty tight to the back of the fold and tumble seat, but I can't for the life of me, get the bottom to not move like in a traditional vehicle.

I have searched around to try to find some pictures of other folks using only a lap belt or this LATCH system, but I have not seen any clear photos of how people are securing child car seats in their jeeps.

I am looking for other car seats to see if they may work better than what I have but it will be less than a year where I will need to transition my daughter from the integrated 5 point harness to using the seat belt and the booster.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the present? Should I try to figure out a mount for a shoulder belt in the rear? I don't necessarily want to go to a custom built cage, but that may be the only true method to make sure my daughter is safe. For the record, I am only talking about being able to take the whole family on a drive, not any kind of hard core off-roading.

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I don't have any good ideas, but I can sympathize. Unless I can convince my wife our daughter is safe in a standard seat, she won't be able to ride in the jeep until she's 8 or older...

Child safety regs sure have changed since we were kids.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Ok folks, for the last couple of months I have been installing a rear seat and belts in the back of my Scrambler in hopes of being able to install a car seat with a five point harness for my 5 year old daughter. I am happy with the security of the Bestop fold and tumble seat and with where I have mounted the lap belts. The problem first came up when I tried to cinch down the simple lap belt to secure the 3 in 1 booster seat we have. I pulled and pulled on the seat belt and was able to tighten it down pretty good, but the base of the car seat had about 6 inches of movement front to back...not good.

I then went to the internet and found a universal "LATCH" system mount that slips through the seat to give you three points of attachment for the seat. I was able to use this system to install the seat much tighter and much more securely, but alas, I still have about 2 to 3 inches of movement with the base of the seat. The back of the seat is pretty tight to the back of the fold and tumble seat, but I can't for the life of me, get the bottom to not move like in a traditional vehicle.

I have searched around to try to find some pictures of other folks using only a lap belt or this LATCH system, but I have not seen any clear photos of how people are securing child car seats in their jeeps.

I am looking for other car seats to see if they may work better than what I have but it will be less than a year where I will need to transition my daughter from the integrated 5 point harness to using the seat belt and the booster.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the present? Should I try to figure out a mount for a shoulder belt in the rear? I don't necessarily want to go to a custom built cage, but that may be the only true method to make sure my daughter is safe. For the record, I am only talking about being able to take the whole family on a drive, not any kind of hard core off-roading.
I bought a LATCH setup, and although I don't have the exact picture of the bottom, it is part of the middle of the fixed plate of the rear seat...

The just use the lap belts through the car seat and then the LATCH to the bottom... it is quite tight and sturdy... well it was, my kids now don't need the car seats anymore and hopefully soon out of boosters!

cb

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Thank you all for the replies. I am thinking about trying out a different car seat that might be more rigid to see if that works. After that, I am going to try something else...I just don't know what that something else is yet.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Morning, I've handled this a couple ways. My Tahoe had leather seats and no anchors (like newer vehicles). I used a 500 lb ratchet strap through the seat to the seat mounts, then ran the seat belt over this. That made it tight enough that it wouldn't wiggle.

I have the Bestop fold and tumble rear in my Scrambler. So far I have only used the lap belts to secure it. I've found the trick to getting lap belts sufficiently tight is to dig your knee into the seat while pulling the belt tight. A few good pulls and I haven't had any wiggling, for both the infant base and toddler seat.

That said, before wheeling season starts this year I will add a bar between the roll bar to better anchor the car seats.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLD 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
You're welcome. We've used them for both boys and they are great when you have to fly somewhere too.

One of our boys has outgrown his so if you're interested maybe we can work a deal for you. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss.

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Suwanee
State
GA
You're welcome. We've used them for both boys and they are great when you have to fly somewhere too.

One of our boys has outgrown his so if you're interested maybe we can work a deal for you. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss.
Thank you very much for the offer, but I pulled the trigger on a new one off Amazon last night.

My wife and I both were super impressed with the product and the videos that are out there for it.

I should have the new Safe Rider Delight in hand by Saturday. I will post up some pictures once it has been installed and in use.

I told my daughter about it yesterday and she is super excited to finally get to ride in daddy's jeep.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
On a side note... When you get the car seat in put a towel down first so the car seat won't ruin the upholstery. Also, if you know you won't drive it for a few days loosen the seat so it isn't constantly digging into the cushion and ruin it. Just don't forget to tighten it back up when you need it.

City
Willis
State
Tx
I built mine. It’s plate steel that sandwiches between the seat and Jeep with seat bolts securing it all. This plate extends behind the seat far enough that I could weld a pipe hoop to it that matches the contour of the top of the seat. This pipe hoop has the attachment points for two 5 point harnesses.

I’m entering a rebuild and given my kids age I don’t plan to re-use this set up if you need it.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
It won’t be long and they’ll just take the Jeep...like mine do now..