• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hub Caps - were they ever offered on a Scrambler?

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I bought a set of hub caps that supposedly came on the white CJ 15" solid steel wheels. The guy I got them from said they were originally off of his '84 CJ7. Since they were priced right (almost free) I decided I couldn't go wrong with picking them up because I can always hang them on the wall in my shop! I also noticed a yellow '81 CJ8 on Ebay which had a similar style of hub caps. I asked the owner and he said the hub caps were original to the Jeep. I have searched through all of my dealer brochures I have from '82-'86 and didn't see them in there. Does anyone know if these hub caps were ever offered on the late model CJ's? I know some of the older Jeeps have hub caps but I wasn't sure of the new models. Here is a picture of the hub caps I have:

a04e_1-1.jpg

a67f_1-1.jpg

a962_1-1.jpg

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I had hub caps just like those on a '76 J-10.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
I believe the red / blue color combination was AMC era starting in about 1972. I have seen these on 1972 - 1973 Jeep Commandos.

ibscrmbln

Ken Waters
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Topeka
State
KS
There were a set of those on my 83 cj8 when I purchased it in 88 from the original owner.

Later, Ken

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Ken,
Do you have any pictures of you Scrambler when it had the hubcaps on it?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Cool, wouldn't be the least surprised if they were a dealer add-on. Never seen them on a Scrambler before (not that that means anything). Would love to see a picture with those on one!!!

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Cool, wouldn't be the least surprised if they were a dealer add-on. Never seen them on a Scrambler before (not that that means anything).

Bigwalton, I think you may be right that they would have been a dealer installed item, if they were in fact available one CJs, much like many of the items that were optional on CJ's. Maybe they were left over from the 70's era of AMC and the dealership still made them available? :shrug:

I wouldn't think the rear hubcaps would clear the AMC 20 two piece axle.

If would probably be a tight fight but the hub caps are fairly deep so they should clear. There is an '81 CJ8 on ebay right now with the 2 piece rear axle and hub caps that the owner says are original to the Jeep and they clear.:confused: