I am putting my bumper design in Solidworks2012

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
i am just learning it...that is one reason i did this drawing was to practice...i am starting to get the hang of it

rstickley

SOA Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I had a copy of Solidworks and loaned the disc to a friend and he ended up breaking the disc. I was trying to learn it on my own as well. BTW, on the bumper you made for me, am I suppose to have to unscrew the latch to release the tire carrier or just flip up the handle. I have tried adjusting it. If I screw it in until it doesn't rattle, I have to unscrew it about 3-4 turns to release the carrier. If I unscrew it to where all I have to do is flip up the handle, then the handle rattles and the carrier is loose. Any suggestions?

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
I had a copy of Solidworks and loaned the disc to a friend and he ended up breaking the disc. I was trying to learn it on my own as well. BTW, on the bumper you made for me, am I suppose to have to unscrew the latch to release the tire carrier or just flip up the handle. I have tried adjusting it. If I screw it in until it doesn't rattle, I have to unscrew it about 3-4 turns to release the carrier. If I unscrew it to where all I have to do is flip up the handle, then the handle rattles and the carrier is loose. Any suggestions?
You are supposed to adjust it to where it is tight enough that when the cam is pulled down that it is tight enough to not rattle...it may take some playing with to get it adjusted right...if you are able to fully push the cam lever down, then you do not have it tight enough..once you raise the cam to open it you have to turn it a couple of turns to allow the safety piece to slip over the swing out arm...post up a picture of the lever in each of the conditions you talked about and maybe i can better help you

I think you are trying to operate it with out turning it tight each time befor you cam it...it is designed to be screwed in then cammed down...the uncammed and unscrewed a couple of turns to open.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Ok, need practice, model up a 33 12.50 R15 BFG AT KO with 74.27% tread left. :popcorn:

Scott, that's a good looking bumper!

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
Hehehehe......Good job. Practice makes perfect.

I invent/model parts for a living, I'm an Automotive CAD Designer.
23 years now of creating stupid proof parts and fixing engineering mistakes..... :banghead:

Solidworks is nice, great for the home user, I have a copy of that, and other software as well.
But after a full day at work, I have never been able to bring myself to load it and play with it on my own time....go figure :shrug:

Keep practicing...it gets harder....LOL :cheers:

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
I have been using Keycreator solid modeling for about 15 years....it was CADKEY before that...I am fairly adept with that, but solidworks approaches things a little different...it took me forever to figure out how to do boolean operations in solidworks2012...I do like the sketching functions and smart dimensions.

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
Uhhgg.....CADKey.....I'm truely sorry. :rolleyes:

We looked at that, and several others some years back, and from what we were using originally (in-house developed software, VERY drafting oriented) the powers that be ultimatly decided on Catia V5 just as it was just being released. Not bad software, Its getting better.
It does allow for Solids and Open Framework design to be intergrated into the same part. or you can create stand alone parts in one or the other as well.

Ultimatly, the engineering applications it has is what drove the purchase of it over others.

As far as your boolean operations, think of the logic for them kinda like how Yoda talks. :crazy:

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
our corporate office uses CATIA v5 also..must be an automotive thing..i know that it is very capable with our laser 3D scanning equipment. So far I have no had any trouble importing the CATIA data into Solidworks for my tooling designs...it is just hard for an old engineer to learn new software...I still have my HP 48gx calculator on my desk...God bless reverse Polish notation

rstickley

SOA Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
You are supposed to adjust it to where it is tight enough that when the cam is pulled down that it is tight enough to not rattle...it may take some playing with to get it adjusted right...if you are able to fully push the cam lever down, then you do not have it tight enough..once you raise the cam to open it you have to turn it a couple of turns to allow the safety piece to slip over the swing out arm...post up a picture of the lever in each of the conditions you talked about and maybe i can better help you

I think you are trying to operate it with out turning it tight each time befor you cam it...it is designed to be screwed in then cammed down...the uncammed and unscrewed a couple of turns to open.
That is the way it is working. Thanks. Sorry for hijacking your thread.