Identification of ECU box in the engine bay

retiredFF42

CJ-8.com Member
City
Springhill
State
FL
I have a 1982 CJ8 and I am in the process of adding a HEI distributor, a non computer controlled cab and generally making changes to clean the engine bay. There is a box on the passenger inner fender well that that sits between the starter solenoid and the radiator support. This box is similar in shape to the ignition control module that I removed after installing the new HEI distributor. I am trying to identify this box and see if it can be removed from the fender well. Eventually I am going to install a Sniper fuel injection set up but am still saving for that.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I have a 1982 CJ8 and I am in the process of adding a HEI distributor, a non computer controlled cab and generally making changes to clean the engine bay. There is a box on the passenger inner fender well that that sits between the starter solenoid and the radiator support. This box is similar in shape to the ignition control module that I removed after installing the new HEI distributor. I am trying to identify this box and see if it can be removed from the fender well. Eventually I am going to install a Sniper fuel injection set up but am still saving for that.
I didn't have anything similar to what your describing on my '83, nor have I seen any in wiring diagrams.
Does the wiring look factory, or can you tell where it connects in the system?
A few pictures of the box and wire connectors would help identify it.

retiredFF42

CJ-8.com Member
City
Springhill
State
FL
AMC is printed on the side of this box facing the alternator. When the box is removed you can see a circuit board covered by epoxy similar to the ECU on the drivers side under the windshield washer bottle.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
AMC is printed on the side of this box facing the alternator. When the box is removed you can see a circuit board covered by epoxy similar to the ECU on the drivers side under the windshield washer bottle.
Are there any part numbers legible?
Did/does your Jeep have cruise control?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Its the controller for the SolVac on the carburetor. If the Jeep does not have the under dash computer, and has factory/dealer air, or CA emissions before MCU, it controls the SolVac.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Besides controlling the SolVac, it might do something else, a bunch of wires for just rlthe SolVac.

I have seen one of these on a 1982 with dealer air. And a CA emissions 1982, too.

I have also seen the box melt, like an ICM, and leave a mess of melted epoxy.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Its the controller for the SolVac on the carburetor. If the Jeep does not have the under dash computer, and has factory/dealer air, or CA emissions before MCU, it controls the SolVac.
Ray beat me to it. :cheers:
I was going to ask if you had the computer under the dash.
Anyway, here is some info.

idle.PNG description.PNG