Identify temperature sensor for iron duke

City
Chattanooga
State
TN
I suspect my temperature sensor is bad, figured it would be a cheap replacement after already replacing thermostat. So, I ordered one from 4wd.com that indicated it would work, but it only fit the AMC 4cyl engine, not the GM Iron duke. Of course the description indicated it would. I find that most websites indicate the same part number. I called J&W jeep, they understood the problem and would send one for $35 bucks, yikes. Of course, if they are the only ones that have it, guess I will order. But, is there another place to look? Oreilly auto doesn't show the one in my jeep. Maybe there is another make of GM vehicle with same engine and identical part?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1981 Jeep scrambler, 4 cyl 151 gm engine.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
The Pontiac Fiero used the 151 also.
The sensors at Rockauto don't seem to be much cheaper than what you posted.
They do have pics of them though.

City
Chattanooga
State
TN
A little more help needed.

I removed the old sensor, just to make sure I knew what was needed. Put back in and decided to run, just got a laser temperature reader so I would know how hot the engine was getting - i.e verify it was cooling or not and whether temperature sensor was really bad. To my surprise it started working. But the laster temperature indicator on each cylinder was getting hot, aiming right next to spark plug. Does that temperature indicate cooling problems if over 250 degrees. The block temperature was below 200F. Never used one of these things before, so maybe temperatures in that area are hotter, but main engine stays at thermostat temp. Thanks for any advice. I don't want to run engine and burn up on my lack of knowledge.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Sounds like you may have had a poor connection. Either to the sensor or the sensor threads to the block. (if it is only a single wire connection the block would be the ground source for the gauge)

I personally don't think the reading next to the spark plug is high. This is where the ignition of the compressed A/F mixture happens, the temperature inside the combustion chamber is much higher than that.
Of course I have never checked a ICE with an external temperature sensor.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Experiment with your hand held laser unit with other cars at radiator, thermostat housing. headers, spark plugs and you might be surprised at some of the readings you get. I use mine for everything including HVAC readings in my cars and home.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
There's an episode of mythbusters with Alton Brown where they cooked a whole thanksgiving dinner with engine heat. I wouldn't worry about 250. I personally have cooked foil wrapped hot dogs stuck in my headers.

City
Chattanooga
State
TN
Ended up taking it to a Jeep guy here locally, all good now. gauge must have had bad connection, seems to be working fine now. thanks for all the help