• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Ignition control module keeps going bad need help

gary81cj8

Legacy Registered User
City
pace
State
fl
Long story short. FRame off restoration on my 83 with 258 straight 6. Jeeps been down for year and half. Nothing on the engine was unplugged. Just removed from the firewall and fenders. Every thing put back together tried to crank. It will turn over but not fire. The ICM had smoked a hole in the gel. Replaced did the same thing. Just not a big hole second time. HAd a friend help me today. Noticed the ground on the coil was melted. Also the grond on the ICM is now a hot wire. WE removed the wires out of the harness. Some were melted together. Pulled them apart checked the wire all the way into the brain and down to the dist. I still cant find were the ground is picking up a hot wire. What am I missing? Thanks in advance

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Did you not burn any fuses when the ICM burned up?

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
Install a DUI coil and never look back! I love mine, it was like night and day.

gary81cj8

Legacy Registered User
City
pace
State
fl
None of the fuses were blown. Gueon are saying the coil may be the problem. Can a coil cause the icm to melt down?