CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
So.... what should I do?

3C9EA612-1B4C-4646-BA52-6788104D7B96.jpeg

E79B22EB-8DE2-402D-B729-6DBEBB03210E.jpeg

I have a puddle of resin on the fender under the vapor canister from the stock (original) ignition module. I’m certain it is still working as the engine runs (poorly due to carb issues, I think).

I can:

1. Leave it as-is and run it

2. Clean it up and repot it with electronics potting resin

3. Replace it with the module from my ‘82 that was a know good one

4. Replace it with an unknown module from an engine in the barn that was “thrown in” when I bought the replacement frame for the ‘82

5. Get a new one (not likely with all the reports of doa units)

I‘m up for suggestions

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Get that one out of there. I just got done cleaning mine up. What a sticky mess and it actually caused corrosion on my fender and was eating it up. Just finished the Por 15 treatment and painted it

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I’d say “time for a DUI Distrubtor”👍
If I do that, it would be the Holley Hyperspark distributor, but I was not really wanting to do that yet, and not sure I really wanted to run a CD ignition box. Since I am installing the Sniper EFI, I have read it does not play well with the DUI type ignitions.

I might just get a replacement, run that until I get the EFI running well, then do the ignition.

I looked at the unit in the barn, and that one is no good. Wires are all frayed and cracking insulation. Too bad, it was a Napa unit, and I think those are the better ones (of the non-oem).

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I installed a Howell fuel injection on my blue Scrambler a couple of months ago. I had no luck ordering a DUI distributor from any of the big suppliers, and I tried them all!! They will not ship one to California.....WTF!! I called DUI and ordered one. To my surprise it showed up a few days later. Haven’t got around to installing yet, but soon.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I already had the MSD AL6 digital and now installing it on my new engine figured I would put a sniper and upgrade the distributor to a MSD Pro Billet

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Buy a NOS Motorcraft blue tab ICM off of eBay. Same as the Jeep version, more reliable than the China crap.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I bought an “oem” motorcraft, genuine... one off eBay. I hope it is not a cheap china version. I did not see any NOS versions.

Fingers crossed.