Installed a New MTS poly tank

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
So I got my new MTS "15" gallon tank installed yesterday. I like the tank itself, but I have a couple of observations. 1. I don't think it actually holds 15 gallons. I put two in from a small gas can, siphoned a bit out of another car then put just shy of 8 gallons in it. I don't think I pulled 5 gallons from the other car. 2. The side straps don't even touch the tank. Weird. 3. In relation to #1, the and is almost 2" shorter inside. I measured my old tank and it is 10" high inside measurement. The new one is only 8.25". This causes issues installing the sending unit. The pickup and screen hit the bottom and cause the sending unit to not seat correctly. Had to tweak the pickup tube a bit to get it to work. Also, has anyone used an Inline Tube main fuel feed line? The tank end is bent at a weird angle. 20200703_152935.jpg 20200703_143447.jpg 20200703_143437.jpg 20200703_143423.jpg 20200703_143413.jpg 20200703_141641.jpg 20200703_141637.jpg 20200703_141633.jpg

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
So this has been installed since Friday and I have driven it a bit. No issues to report. Haven't driven it enough to fill it up yet to see how much it takes. I now have a functioning gas gauge since my wife's grandmother bought the Jeep some 20 or so years ago. With all I have read I expected it to have internal gauge problems and not work, so awesome!

City
cedar falls
State
ia
Hey there Door Breaker , I put a Polly in my 1979 CJ-5 about a year ago .And other than having to buy new mounting straps for the tank , I had no problems . Just be sure to re-hook up your charcoal filter tank up on the front inner fender . Or you are gonna smell raw gas when you shut it off . Not good in a enclosed space . I ran hard lines from the tank to frame and down the frame to the engine compartment . I used a double coat of Por-15 on all the hard lines and brackets before install. I replaced absolutely every tank hose and rubber gas line there was. I have driven it quite a bit and still no problems. Just goes to show me...buy new so you know what you got. Mine is also 15 gallon . looks like you have that problem solved . So "keep on Jeep 'n " .

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
Hey there Door Breaker , I put a Polly in my 1979 CJ-5 about a year ago .And other than having to buy new mounting straps for the tank , I had no problems . Just be sure to re-hook up your charcoal filter tank up on the front inner fender . Or you are gonna smell raw gas when you shut it off . Not good in a enclosed space . I ran hard lines from the tank to frame and down the frame to the engine compartment . I used a double coat of Por-15 on all the hard lines and brackets before install. I replaced absolutely every tank hose and rubber gas line there was. I have driven it quite a bit and still no problems. Just goes to show me...buy new so you know what you got. Mine is also 15 gallon . looks like you have that problem solved . So "keep on Jeep 'n " .
I replaced the feed line and put new hoses on both ends of it. The return line and the vapor line are pretty hammered so I am thinking of replacing them this winter. One of the emissions valves in the back it rotted away, so I'll replace that as well. So far so good.😁😁

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Biggest issue I have with my MTS tank is filling it up.
I have the XL version in my CJ7 and you have to go slow at the pump or it will click off.
I wish I hollowed out the fill hole a bit more to allow for more flow.
I do remember it looked narrow, but didn't think much of it at the time.
I think there was casting plastic in there as well that slows the flow.
Not a huge deal, but when I am in a hurry, I need to take a breath and go slow or not fill it up all the way...

cb

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
Biggest issue I have with my MTS tank is filling it up.
I have the XL version in my CJ7 and you have to go slow at the pump or it will click off.
I wish I hollowed out the fill hole a bit more to allow for more flow.
I do remember it looked narrow, but didn't think much of it at the time.
I think there was casting plastic in there as well that slows the flow.
Not a huge deal, but when I am in a hurry, I need to take a breath and go slow or not fill it up all the way...

cb
Honestly, I've always had to fill the Jeep up slowly. It just dosen't like the fast fill rates on most pumps. I usually have to use the first notch if I can at all.