• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Intake port not plugged?

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
My son asked why the Jeep was suddenly making so much noise. Upon investigation the exhaust pipe had split at the flange for the exhaust manifold. I got a replacement pipe and am going to hack it in temporarily (considering an engine swap, but that's another story). When I got some light on it I see that what looks like a port on the bottom of the intake manifold is not blocked. I'm assuming it should be??? If so, would this part work:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ad...1Y5zoU8QVqA8b3SQxg08uhbF3TfHcYKRoC_fIQAvD_BwE

EDIT: After research these look like they are for the exhaust manifold :(

Thanks,
Chris V.

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
It's for the end of the pipe (egr tube) that comes from the intake manifold. I think your best option is to hope it's still threaded and find a plug that will fit. I'm not sure on the size though.

If you wind up needing a new intake/exhaust/egr tube, let me know, I'll be pulling mine in a couple of weeks!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
What he said :thumbsup:

Collins Brothers sells replacement tubes, made out of stainless, or they did a few years ago.

I have a tap to re-thread the holes, and I bought some plugs from somewhere, too. I can post up the tap size and info if you want, I have had to repair a few of these before, replace the tube, or simply plug up the holes. To install the tube, I have found the easiest way is to have the exhaust manifold bolted to head, tube started in exhaust manifold, then lower intake on to tube, start the threads in the intake, then tighten intake to head, then snug up the tube on each end.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Thanks that pointed me in the right direction. Mine has a thread already and I found another discussion that said an oil drain plug of size M22-1.50, HEAD SIZE 19MM from a Dodge truck would work. I'm going to try this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP7041048