• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Interior Color Question - Garnet??

JackHaybale

Basic User
City
Forest Hill
State
MD
Per the information I have found on the Internet, my interior trim color code iequates to the color Garnet. I am making the best efforts to restore my
Scrambler as close to original as possible, so I was wondering if anybody has insight on where I can locate vinyl door panels and seats in this color? I have an existing set in my jeep, but they are showing there age and are riddled with cracks.

Thanks In Advance for your help!
Jack

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
This probably won't help much since I'm in NC, but there is a guy near me who does auto interiors for hot rods and classic cars. He recovered some seats for me and made me some new door panels (which are nicer than the originals). He could not match the color of my seats exactly, but they were close. His color choices are limited to what he can get from his vendors.

You might see if there are any similar shops in your area who can help you. If you'd like I can get you his phone number and maybe he could at least give you some suggestions. He's a pretty nice guy and I know he goes to a lot of car shows. He was not able to match my Bestop seat fabric after a mechanic burned a hole in my driver's seat with a cigarette, so I'm sort of in the same boat as you. (But then Bestop wasn't able to help me with their own product either - 1 1/2 years old!)

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
OT: Bestop rant

Not to change the subject... well, yeah, to change the subject. This thread is officially being hijacked. :D
Not too terribly impressed with the "big B" overall. Got a Supertop from them for the '7, and the stitching for the zippers on the top ripped out. We got a replacement skin from them (they wouldn't warranty the original one because they "couldn't guarantee the top had been properly taken care of" :eek: ), and last year, when zipping in the windows, teeth started flying all over... not only from the windows, but also from the top!! I called them up to ask WTF, but since it was outside their 1-year replacement warranty on replacement parts, they wouldn't cover it. :mad: The top is now in a heap in the back of the garage, waiting for a project that needs a big slab of black vinyl.
Back in '98 I got their seat covers for the stock CJ seats. These now have LOTS of pops, dings, rips, and cracks, from normal everyday use, and generally look bad. They still look better than the factory vinyl (cracked along the seams), but I'm surprised at how THIN the vinyl and fabric of the covers are! I'm looking at a set of WetOkole or similar covers for the seats now. :rolleyes:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I have a garnet interior for my project CJ-7, no I'm not looking to part with it. It was really hard to get the seats and bikini top many years ago. Even then, when I wanted a back seat, I couldn't get one in garnet. I managed to get some fabric after a lot of hunting and had it covered locally. Bottom line, you're probably going to have to do it in another color.

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
Call Mike at Austin Jeeps- he has several Garnet interiors and would probably part with one. His # is 800-316-5337

BaronVonBigMeat

Reverend, that is.
Hot rod type shops will do that for ya no problem, I know of a few around my area that I could spit to - that's back in Chicago, of course. In Chambana, well, I know where the campus is.

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
Back to the hijack - Besides the cigarette burn my driver's seat has a small hole in the side bolster where a piece of metal from the frame has been poking through and the foam has split from the metal under it. The upholstery guy told me it was definately a manufacturing defect, but he could fix it while recovering the seat. I would have to contact Bestop about the fabric. The guy at Bestop would only tell me it wasn't their problem since the seats were 1 1/2 years old and their warranty was for 1 year. Then he told me they had discontinued that color. It's the light gray color and they still make it or at least it's still available in all the catalogs. He gave me a phone number for a company he said supplied their fabric. I called them and I think they said they weren't supplying Bestop anymore (I may be wrong on that). They sent me a swatch of the closest thing they had but it's a different type of fabric and it's gray but not a match.

I'll likely end up trying to cover both front seat bottoms with something else so they at least match. Just something else to eat more $$.