Is my Scrambler too nice to modify?

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Here is my dilemna. I would really like to start wheeling again this year. I only went out once or twice last year and that was with the family so we kept it pretty tame. I bought a JK Rubicon just for that reason, so we could all 5 be together. However, this has cut into my need for more extreme trails. I considered building a buggy, but then why do I have a Scrambler? The Scrambler can run most trails I want to do, but it isn't set up with Dana 60s and other hard core parts. I could build the Scrambler into a serious off-road only machine for much less than the cost of a buggy. I can also do it incrementally as I see fit. The problem for me is am I going ruin a perfectly good Scrambler in the process. This Jeep is in great shape. I did a frame-off rebuild 6 years ago. Should I build my Scrambler into something I will use or should I let it sit in my garage???

Later-

City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Did you pay your own money for it? Then I guess you can do whatever you like with it. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. I figure one can start with any old piece of junk, and build it into a monster, so why tear up a good Scrambler. But again, that's just me, and it's not my Jeep.

jimmyrig

Head Nut at Outdoor Logic
City
Riverside
State
ca
If I had to do it over again...I would have left my Scram alone. Buy an after market/ Bobed frame and aqual bobbed tube and go from there! but dont sale the 8 if possible

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Yes, I paid for it all. I also spent countless hours doing it. It was just a pile of parts when I got it. It is not like I got some matching numbers classic car in pristine condition. I trailered home a load of parts and made it into the Jeep it is now. I would just be making it into something else. I just know that I can't sell it for what I have into it and then turn around and buy what I want. I could spend a couple grand more and make it into what I want. And obviously what I want now is different from 6 years ago. I have seen several Scramblers on this site evolve into different things. I just don't think that many of them started out in the condition mine is in. That is except for maybe Danno's 1BADCJ8.

Later-

bobgoblin

Legacy Registered User
City
Austin
State
TX
i feel exactly the same way you do. there were some problems with my jeep that i wanted to fix and i would think "while i have this apart, i should go ahead and do this!" etc.

so now i have a jeep i would hate to see torn up.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Same place as you, Tom. Mine's too nice to cut up, I'm the second owner, it was a complete, rust free Scrambler when I bought it. I'm looking at tube flares, and can't think of how I'm going to cut away the perfect rear fender lips...don't think I can do it! I can actually rationalize banging up a new Rubicon before I would beat my Scrambler!

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
City
Lexington
State
SC
just my .02

having been somewhat down your road of rebuilding one completely and putting a lot of money and more importantly hard sweat, and possibly memorable family time that you cannot put any price on, I would not sell it at any cost. Scramblers in good unmolested shape are as we all know, getting really hard to come by. Even ones that have been resto-moded in good shape are still hard to come by. So, my vote would be just leave it alone just as it is, keep it for mild off road trips and more importantly your family heritage.

Spend that money you were going throw down on the scrambler and go find a early 90's XJ for Dirt cheap. They are a dime a dozen. It can be a 5 seater if absolutely necessary, and use that for a basis of a build. Cherokee's are not by any means "RARE" and you won't be afraid to do some hard wheelin in it make a rock rash gash down the side of it. Parts are easy and plentiful and there are many long arm kits out there for them to get some descent size axles under them.

summary. my ..02 keep the scrambler as it is, build a XJ for your hard core wheeling urges.

matt

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
I agree with Matt unless you find a cheap project Scrambler out there that is not worth the restoration. This is why I'm building one and doing a resto/mod on another.

Truck

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
Opinions from the lurker.

I have two scramblers, neither are anywhere near cherry but I have found that I rarely do permanent harm to anything on the trail. Use your jeep as you see fit, modify it to suit your use, part of owning a jeep is the memories and experiences in its use. I know for a fact that everyone on this board has countless campfire stories evolving jeep ownership. Besides mine get jealous of sitting to long and become contrary, your jeep probably would to but may be I am being to philosophical tonight.

fitchjr

Legacy Registered User
City
Huntsville
State
TX
Pick up a XJ for cheap, lift it, get some lockers, and hit the trail. The resale value on a XJ is chep enough where you dont feel bad about tearing it up. You would also have room for your family to go with you. I forgot to mention a SYE kit. I bought mine for $500 wrecked and spent probably $2500 getting it ready for the street/trail.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
baaahaaaa

:D Hack it and cut it.....................you never get your invevestment back so have fun with it....................:D everyone else will disagree with me since i'm the scrambler hack so take it for what's it's worth...........:eek: don't really know anyone that has really made a profit on thier rigs if they have they are gods or telling a story.......lol:bow: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
mine started out perfectly restored..and it is looking more like jc's every day...but i could justify it incremently..ur ur own man...if i had it to do over i would have sold it restored and bought a frame and built a quasi buggy from the start...but..i have loved the journey...and so i am torn...lol

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
I guess I am coming from a little different angle on this one. I love the body style of the Scrambler. Don't care for bobbed Scramblers - don't care for Scramblers with full roll cages and multi layers of seats. It's just my preference for the pickup style of the vehicle. So looks has a big part of what attracted me to my Scrambler just as it did to my wife! :crazy:

Second, since I wanted to take it off road and not worry about if it got dings in it, I purchased the cheapest one I could find that had features I wanted. I didn't care if it even had rust and was worn out because I was going to learn everything I could about these Jeeps so I can repair it on the trail if need be. I am saving a Scrambler from an early demise! The thought here was I didn't see the logic in spending $30K on a new vehicle to trash it out in the desert, give it Arizona pin-striping, rock rash, etc. So that put me into the vehicle that is not pristine, that will never be pristine, and you know what, I am perfectly happy with that!:D

Third, I like the fact that I have something not too many other people have and you don't see that many of them like you do with YJ's and TJ's and XJ's. Its not stock but it is far from being a super monster off road warrior. I like mild to moderate trails for now and that is where I'm going with mine for now. As I get more experience as an offroader, I'm sure the Scrambler will evolve into more of the hard core off road modifications; and I will like it because it is mine to do as I see fit! Also you can still get plenty of parts for them especially from CJ-7's, so I'm not too worried about breaking a classic. :eek:

Bottom line. It is your Jeep, you do what you want with it. If you are going to loose sleep with more radical modifications, then I will trade you mine so you will have a new canvas to paint your masterpiece upon and not feel guilty about it. I know I won't :D

mferrari

Basic User
City
Ocean City, Salisbury, & Clarksville
State
MD
I sold my 8 in order to build my TJ more... That was about 4 or 5 months ago...

I am now wishing I would have built the 8 instead of building the TJ. At the time I thought the scrambler was too nice to modify and beat on the trails but now I wish I still had it and built it up.

Hazard

Basic User
City
Cleveland
State
OH
I kept the basic scrambler body and frame the same on mine (because I like the way it looks!) but modified the suspension and axles. You can make it very capable without changing too much as far as the body and frame are concerned. Otherwise, Scramblers are worth enough that unless you like it as a starting platform, don't hack it all up.

It took alot of work though to keep it stockish looking and road worthy, but still be a good wheeler.

Mine's up for sale! :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...204133107QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280204133107

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Tom- let me rephrase my answer. It's not to nice to modify, but it is too nice to beat/damage/thrash. Just my opinion.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wait, is this a question of selling the 8 or just getting something else to build?

As I read it, you're just asking about getting something else for serious wheeling, not a replacement for the -8...

While I agree with everything said about them here, I wouldn't bother with an XJ as it sounds like this isn't meant to be a family wheeler (unless your buggy was to be a 4-seater). I'd go get a YJ or project -7, you can find them for nothing now and you could still seat 4. Hack and tear that thing all to pieces to do what you want. (An XJ is fine, but for a hardcore wheeler, I'd stick with the CJ/Wranglers for visibility while wheeling if nothing else)

As a fellow JK owner, there's no comparison between the Scrambler and the JK, they're nothing alike, so if you add a built rig, as I see it, you have nicely filled three different needs/uses:

Comfortable wheelable DD (JK)
Fun driver/family wheeler with massive cool factor :smokin: (-8)
Serious trail rig (-7, YJ/XJ)

You need to make excuses to drive the Scrambler :D

Again, all of this was based on your ability to keep the Scrambler and build a trail rig... I hope you can or this gets real sticky ;)

City
Houston
State
TX
I reccomend starting from near-scratch. Get some vehicle to start from (even if going tube frame/body) so you don't have to buy $15K of miscellaneous parts. I think a V8 dakota would be good.

I've known many people that have built good 4x4s into hardcore wheelers. The good 4x4 is pretty much cut up and thrown away. You may use $1000 worth of parts from the scrambler, and drop 10-30K on top of that. So for $1000 more you could still have your nice scrambler, and a hardcore offroad rig. If your scrambler is worth that little to you as it is, I've got a trailer and some cash, and can find Austin.