• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Is this a stock seat?

tx gyrene

Legacy Registered User
City
Hallettsville
State
Tx
Finally found someone to post a picture of a seat that is mounted in my '82 Scrambler. The problem with the seat is whether it is, or is not, factory stock to the vehicle. I bought some neoprene seat covers that do not fit these seats. The supplier of the covers assured me and the receipt said they should fit my 1982 Scrambler that has high back bucket seats. Unfortunately, they do not fit. In the rural town where I live there is no one with a Jeep that I can compare seats with. Thanks to anyone that can help me identify this seat as to whether it is, or is not stock. - texgyrene

Attachments

• chair.jpg
    chair.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 110

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
That is a stock seat, though not for an 82 Scrambler. That belongs on a 79 CJ. Pretty rare seat at that as most were low backs at that time.

pg21.jpg

tx gyrene

Legacy Registered User
City
Hallettsville
State
Tx
Mr. boh- Many thanks to you for nailing down the identity of my seats. I had ordered the neoprene seats a while back not knowing they were not stock for my '82. Possibly, I might find someone looking for some high backs for a '79. Again, thank you for your expert analysis of my problem. - texgyrene

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If the seat covers won't fit the '79 high back seats, they probably won't fit the ones in the '80s either. Those are really nice seats. . .I'd keep them.

tx gyrene

Legacy Registered User
City
Hallettsville
State
Tx
Kim Dawson- You are right about the seats. The only problem with them is that at full travel to the rear they rest against the rear window of my half hardtop. Other than that, they are fine. I would like to keep the Scrambler at full factory OE. I'll be kissing the seats goodbye in the near future. Hopefully, I can find some OE seats that the neoprene covers will fit. Thanks for the much appreciated advice! - texgyrene

tx gyrene

Legacy Registered User
City
Hallettsville
State
Tx
PetesCJ-8 - I know exactly the feeling about the shipping. I'm thinking about buying new seats. Vendors take your head off at the knees to get them to you. What is worse, is they might fit like the '79's do in my Scrambler. I've asked for measurements from vendors and all they can say is we guarantee them to fit. I asked if they would pay shipping back to them if they didn't fit and they implied they would send along a white coat with wraparound arms and straps and would notify the Texas State Mental Hospital. What torques me more, is that the seats are the last item on my resto list to do. Someway, I'll find a way past this bump in the road. Thanks for the opportunity to vent! - texgyrene