• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Is this heater core worth repairing?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I continue to open up cans of worms the deeper I get into this "quick little project"

While trying to move the heater box, I pulled a little too hard on the heater hose going into the heater core. The instant it let go I knew what I did (especially since the hose was still attached!!!!!).

Anyways, I don't know much about these things but this seems to be OEM because it's beefy. I've read lots of bad things about aftermarket heater cores. My issue seems like a simple fix but I NEVER want to go back in there again so should I have this fixed or find a new one?

GMmnd2D.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I would think it would be an easy fix for a radiator shop.
If you decide to go new I'd bet you could easily sell that one.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I literally just fixed mine. Do you have any experience sweating pipes? Super easy. Propane torch, pipe solder, sweat paste and brush. Sand down both mating faces, brush on paste, heat and apply solder around the joint.

Replacements are generally terrible, a copper one is worth fixing.

Either a rad shop or a friendly plumber will fix it for you.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
If it's brass/copper, YES! Have it repaired, and never look back! You can't get brass heater cores for our Jeeps anymore.

If it's aluminum, it's not worth repairing... aluminum heater cores cost about $30.00, but be prepared to replace it every couple of years.

Mine recently failed after 18 months, and I tried like heck to find a brass replacement, with no success.

Fortunately (I suppose), I had bought my heater core from O'Reilly's, and it came with a lifetime warranty. I ended up installing the warrantied replacement, and I expect I'll have to do it again in a couple of years.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
If you have someone who fix it, bring the back panel+/-box so they align the tubes correctly. Took me a couple tries to get them aligned correctly.

Literally just came in from the garage.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Good advice about bringing the panel with me. I'll take it somewhere tomorrow. I'll have it fixed professionally so they can pressure test it also.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I guess i did good in the spring when I bought a obviously old(because of the origianl box it was sold in)NOS aftermarket brass/copper one at a fleamarket for $10.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Be advised that most shops will insist on tearing it apart and redoing the whole thing or they wont offer a warranty. They charge almost as much for those little heater cores as they do for a full size radiator...

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I had issues with mine & took it out of the loop by connecting the inlet hose to the outlet hose until I can get around to installing the new one I have.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I've done that also on another Jeep but this one isn't currently on the road so I just removed it.

I took it to the radiator shop and they soldered the fitting back on but it failed the pressure test. They had a NOS brass/copper one on the shelf though. Cost me $80 but it will last and helps keep a Mom&Pop shop in business.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Good score! Did they have more than one?