• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

It LIVES!!! The FABLED 8 Build Thread

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
More progress! It feels good to be out working on the 8 again. The beautiful 60 degree day helps too.

Attachments

• 20180429_113905.jpg
    20180429_113905.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 99

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I was able to take it out for a quick on road shake down run today. I'm pretty happy with the new ride quality. The 255/70 valving could maybe be a touch lighter, but I'll hold off on any changes until after I run it for awhile. The ride is significantly better on road as well as on the washboard gravel road on my test loop.

Next up is to lower the bump stops and some exhaust modifications to clear the speedometer cable/speed sensor connection to the tail shaft of the transfer case after clocking it up.

On a side note, if anyone needs new exhaust bent up with the factory bends, the shop that I'm having modify my exhaust says they still have the templates for the Scramblers!

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I'm happy with it so far. The rear shaft was built by Tucson Driveline when I lived in Arizona. The front is a new Tom Woods shaft. I was impressed with the experience and consultation while ordering and it was delivered well packaged and on time. It fit perfectly when installed and doesn't have any vibration that I've noticed yet. It hasn't seen any trail time yet, so I can't comment there, but I don't expect to have any issues.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm happy with it so far. The rear shaft was built by Tucson Driveline when I lived in Arizona. The front is a new Tom Woods shaft. I was impressed with the experience and consultation while ordering and it was delivered well packaged and on time. It fit perfectly when installed and doesn't have any vibration that I've noticed yet. It hasn't seen any trail time yet, so I can't comment there, but I don't expect to have any issues.

Did you upgrade the joints to Spicer in the T.W. shaft? I've seen bad things happen to their stock "yellow" joints fresh out of the gate, just FYI. Bad Karma/Mike on here will tell you all about them.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
The one area I didn't address on my frame off rebuild (Gulp... 20 years ago!) was the wiring. Several years ago I bought a painless wiring kit to install and have finally started installing it the last several weeks. I've been taking a little longer to do it than most I'm sure as I've been cleaning up aftermarket wiring, installing A/C and the blower motor upgrade while I have everything apart. The under dash wiring is pretty much done and yesterday I started on the most difficult part, the engine harness.

This is the old one on the floor and the new one partially installed, the dash being worked on with my supervisor and the Blazer blower motor upgrade.

Hopefully it starts again when I'm done!

Attachments

• 20200422_064255.jpg
    20200422_064255.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200314_145708.jpg
    20200314_145708.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200321_163444.jpg
    20200321_163444.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 47

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Is that an impartial observer or the official cheerleader ? Mine likes to hang around also, but sometimes gets to vocal with the lizards & squirrels

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I love it when a plan comes together!

The Minnesota Landscape Arboretum just reopened to vehicles for drive through, so We all loaded into the Scrambler today to go. Here are a few pictures from the trip... you weren't allowed to get out of your vehicle, so none of the 8 from the outside.

FB_IMG_1588550103901.jpg
FB_IMG_1588550112770.jpg
FB_IMG_1588550126688.jpg