It's been 20 years but finally bought another Scrambler

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
Just bought this One owner, all original, low miles CJ8.. Looking for ideas on rear racks, bumpers, brush guard, lighting, etc.. Would love to convert all the lights to LED.. Also would like to add a 3/4 bikini top.
It's been sitting for 10 years so there is allot of maintenance work to do.. Any suggestions on mechanical upgrades/improvements to think about? I am replacing the fuel tank, brakes (master cyl, calipers, rotors, drums, etc) all fluids, etc...

Thanks!!!

Attachments

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Westport
State
MA
Awesome find! I like the stock look. Assuming its a 6 Cyl 258 engine, my first upgrade would be to get rid of the Carter carburetor and put on one that is more reliable or even go with some sort of TBI fuel injection.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow :eek: I’d condition and polish that paint straight off, I bet that thing shines like mad with some attention.

Unless you’re going to replace the engine with something else I’d try to get it running and driveable as it sits. Go through the brakes, steering, fluids, etc. but I’d get what you have going and then start from there. If you start in on upgrades as you’re trying to bring it to life and run into issues, you won’t know if you’ve done something wrong with the upgrade or if it’s a legacy problem.

Awesome find and good luck with getting it back on the road. That’s the kind of find we all dream about! :cheers:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Great Scrambler. My favorite color too, Sebring red :drool: Put me in line of you decide to sell it. Put some time in and buff the oxidation out of that paint. Is it currently running and driving?

CC CJ8

Basic User
City
Barnstable
State
Ma
Wow, what a score ! I'd keep it simple, go thru the basics (get to know her....) and see what she needs after a year or so. If your selling those rocker guards, I'd be very interested!

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
Absolutely, the plan is to clean, clean, and clean some more the polish and seal the paint. It is the 258, 4 speed. Upgrade ideas at this point are exactly like what AJ2393 suggested. I will look into fuel injection system instead of carb. That will make it better in the winter also. I really would like to put full racks in the rear so I can haul the kayaks.

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
Got it off the trailer and started cleaning.. Looks like the original paint will look like NEW after some polishing.. All the brake parts are arriving today along with fuel tank and pump.. I had it started just by priming the carb.. Next step is to replace the carb and ignition and get rid of the rats nest of vacuum lines and wires...

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Rack I built for mine. I have a hand drawn "print" of how to make it I can send.
P1010689 resized.jpg P1010690 resized.jpg P1020034 resized.jpg P1020035 resized.jpg

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Man I like this Jeep. They did a nice job matching the windshield frame paint. This Jeep will look great when you’re done. Post lots of pics!!

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
It is on the old fashion 3 inch pipe bumper. 1 1/2 inch Dia bearing style piviot. Other end rest on a stop. With upper anchor points where in the inside rear supports are bolted through. You can see the "T" handles in the pictures. This was the second one I built. I also have the same thing on my LJ, and have the parts cut to do a 3rd for my CJ6 when build the bumper. I will post up the "print" in thread in the fab section.

City
Aurora
State
NC
Good looking Cj8. My ‘84 Scrambler had the tire mounted to the driver side diagonal roll bar. I often used it as a rifle rest when hunting. But now that’s illegal and you’ve got to have at least one foot on the ground. Dumb thing is that shooting from a dog box or truck bed puts the bullet into the ground if you miss the deer. A bullet fired from standing on the ground goes a lot farther.

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
UPDATE!! Getting close to being on the road!! 3 months of work so far..

Attachments