• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

It's begun! (350/SM465/D300)

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Do you remember what hose/hoses you ended up using?

I keep a stash of old hoses in the barn from all kinds of vehicles. Then I usually hold them in place to see which one fits the best and take that one to the auto parts store, where they let me go through the rack in back that holds hoses. In the case of the 4.3 I actually ended up making the thermostat housing from steel, cuz I was not happy with anything I found. Sorry, I couldn't help you out this time.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Off to the exhaust shop! This is one part I'm not equipped to do myself.
I'm hoping to have my Scrambler running this weekend! :cheers:

tow - 1.jpg

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I can feel the anticipation all the way up here at the Sand Dunes! Nice work. :thumbsup: :wave:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
It lives! :headbang:

When I first cranked it over, it spat back through the carb... I was sure I had the timing right... but I was 180 degrees out on the distributor. :banghead:

Once I got the distributor lined up right, it settled in to a pretty nice idle.

Tomorrow night, after a little more fine tuning, maybe I'll get to take it for a spin around the block! :cheers:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I can't get it to idle quite as smoothly as I'd like, but aside from that, I'm stoked!

I drove it around the block this evening... man, the SM465 is much different than the M20!

It's sure nice to have my Scrambler moving under its own power again, though! :thumbsup:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Finished product (mostly):final - 4.jpg

final - 3.jpg

Next year, I'll have to tweak the timing a bit for smog... but it's running great for now!

I intend to install a cool air intake hose from the air cleaner to the fitting behind the headlight. I just need to find something that fits at both ends. :shrug:

Cheers! :cheers:

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
It looks like it was supposed to be there in the first place. Nice job.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Great news. Now give us an update on miles and power. We don't care about smog. ?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
It's got good power, but as long as I have to keep it smog-able, I can't really tune it to its full potential. It's fun though, and it sounds good.

I think I'm only getting about 12mpg, but that's mostly around town, with 4:10 gears.

The SM465 sure is a slow shifter... an AX15 probably would have been a more practical choice for me.

If I were to do it all again, I might consider a 5.3/automatic swap more seriously. I like small blocks though, and I like carburetors, and I like shifting gears.

Plus... it's EMP proof! :crazy:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
The Detroit is more transparent than I thought it would be. My tires chirp more than they used to, but the locker hardly ever pops. When it does, it's more of a dull "thunk" than a bang.

That said, most of my driving has been on dry pavement. I've done one turn at a wet intersection, and a few in loose gravel, and the rear end will slide out in a heartbeat if I'm not careful!

I think it will be fine for my needs, but if this were an all-season daily driver, I'd install a TrueTrac or a selectable locker. I may still go with a TrueTrac... we'll see how I feel about it next summer. ;)