• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

JCR XJ roof rack on my Postal

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I posted in my build/prep thread for having the Postal in SEMA that one of my long-wanted additions was a nicely fitting roof rack on the World Cab.

I worked with JCR here in MI to make up some custom brackets to clamp their XJ rack to the rain gutters on the World Cab. It ended up working perfectly and got a ton of comments.

C07B3A8B-4281-495A-97D0-BA1845E10B14.jpeg

The only issue is that I don’t run the World Cab very often anymore, so while it was awesome to have on there for SEMA and my recent trip to EJS and the National Scramble, I pulled the rack and the top today to get ready for summer.

So this thread is to hopefully keep me honest as I attempt to now mount the rack to my roll cage. The intention is to get it on top of the rack in a way that allows me to put the full-length bikini on top of the cage under the rack. This will make all my work to wire the lights worth it and I think the look with the rack will be sweet.

I took some measurements and the width of the rack perfectly matches the roll cage and the mounts look like they all will fall in workable locations. Will be playing with it more tomorrow and will see what will be needed for fabricating the mounts.

Just glad there’s nothing initially that looks like it can’t be overcome. :fingerscrossed:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
So is the rack for a tent on top or for hauling items for overland camping trips ?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
So is the rack for a tent on top or for hauling items for overland camping trips ?

All of the above plus the lights I added. I had my hi-lift up there to get it out of the back end and mounted a Rain Shower solar shower on the other side for SEMA.

I have also been talking about a rather epic trip with a couple friends that would have me wanting the RTT on the Jeep rather than trailer (long distance moving daily with lots of dirt)

The rear lights are dual beam white/amber and the amber lights are perfect for setting up the trailer at night. I fell in love with them on the trip to/from SEMA. I had to talk myself into the extra wiring to make them work but I’m really glad I did. Not that I couldn’t make them work some other way on the cage/Jeep, but the height and spacing are just awesome on the rack.

All that said, I will admit that I just love the look with the rack, so the added versatility is really a bonus :shrug:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Been using a solar shower bag on and off probably 45 years, my dad had one on his sailboat. They work pretty good out in the middle of nowhere dry camping.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Just got a neighbor to help get the rack on top of the roll cage. I think this definitely has possibility. Need to find the XJ mount brackets, I think they’ll be awfully close to what I need as-is. The rear mounts will need to come in some because they dovetailed the rear end of the cage a bit.

Will get photos as best I can manage here in a bit.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Here’s the different angles on the rack. It’s just sitting on 2x4s I tossed up there, it will need to come up just slightly from here.

The rack looks bent up because that’s how it’s designed. They did that so you “pretension” it when you clamp it on to fight it bowing down. I’ll have to play with the 2x4s/spacers and then strap down the front/rear to get a proper idea of where it will sit.

Obviously the World Cab rain gutter mounts need to come off still. Didn’t want to bother with that until I made a call that I’m actually going to try to make this work.

You can see the way the cage necks in toward the back, that will be the most work. The center mount will be the “controlling” one in that the B pillar hoop comes into play. I kind of like where it’s sitting just forward of the b pillar.

4888FCF3-AB70-4C46-9D06-27E2486FEF35.jpegAB9E3CA2-D303-473F-A665-662D34312B27.jpegD1C0F8DD-6309-449A-81AD-651A61DA37EF.jpeg33DCD17A-0F23-4173-8676-2083DDE27F9C.jpeg385ABC3E-ECD8-48DA-A190-5DA430ED24C2.jpeg778315D1-57A8-41CE-83E7-1B2387DCBCD0.jpeg

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Better Tip your hat to the jeep gods. I’m never that lucky. ?
That’s going to be awesome

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Better Tip your hat to the jeep gods. I’m never that lucky. ?
That’s going to be awesome

Yeah, but although I hadn’t done the measurements on the cage, I had this in mind when I found out that the rack would end up a fair bit inboard of the World Cab rain gutters (hence the custom-bent brackets)

I knew that meant that it had to be at least somewhat close to the cage width and the fact that the mounting feet bolt on seemed like the perfect situation. My big worry was where the mounting feet would land on the cage and that’s where I got a bit lucky from the looks of things.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I’m thinking six of these will be perfect. Either weld the uprights directly to the clamps or drill/tap them for bolts.

If I could get things situated where one half of the clamp basically sat on top of the roll cage, the lower half and bolts would simply be there to locate things and the roll cage takes all the weight.

0672C99E-3DFC-4826-9D92-CD9C4E2259A2.jpeg

Last edited:

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I used those clamps on a roll cage on my old Polaris ranger. They work great. Very strong. I hung an ice chest carrier off the rear of the cage. I also built a gun rest across the front of the cage, Using the clamps. It looks like they’re going to be just the ticket for your roof rack. Can’t wait to see how it turns out

On a different note, every time I see your postal, it makes me want one. Definitely one of my favorite jeeps on the form. I’m developing a fever. ?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
On a different note, every time I see your postal, it makes me want one. Definitely one of my favorite jeeps on the form. I’m developing a fever. ?

That’s exactly what happened to me, just instantly, when I saw the photo of Garrett Fowler’s lifted Postal with the top on it on a trail back in 2001.

I have it saved somewhere.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
That’s exactly what happened to me, just instantly, when I saw the photo of Garrett Fowler’s lifted Postal with the top on it on a trail back in 2001.

I have it saved somewhere.
I think I’m going to start a postal fund/budget, and develop a plan to buy one within the next year or so. ( that is if I can find one )

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I think I’m going to start a postal fund/budget, and develop a plan to buy one within the next year or so. ( that is if I can find one )

If you get one and you want this roofrack on the World Cab, JCR has the files for the uprights! I was joking with Daryl about how I'm going to sell a bunch of them for him now that he went through the trouble :rotfl:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If you get one and you want this roofrack on the World Cab, JCR has the files for the uprights! I was joking with Daryl about how I'm going to sell a bunch of them for him now that he went through the trouble :rotfl:

With 230 postals made, 25% still in existence (guess), and of those 60 50% have the original roof, leaves 30 possible rack sales. Add in the export world cabs still around, and you might have an audience of 50ish. (All pure guesses)

If 10% buy one, that is 5 racks sold.

Seems like a solid business decision. :D:eek::D

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Seems like a solid business decision. :D:eek::D

Exactly. Super awesome of them to even give me the time of day on this idea, but they love crazy, different stuff and I’ve supported their efforts while I’ve had the magazine so he went all in. Daryl loves the Postal, so it may have just been a ploy to get me to bring it over.m to their shop.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Exactly. Super awesome of them to even give me the time of day on this idea, but they love crazy, different stuff and I’ve supported their efforts while I’ve had the magazine so he went all in. Daryl loves the Postal, so it may have just been a ploy to get me to bring it over.m to their shop.
I'm sure it helps that you have the magazine. Last year I tried to get them to modify there rear bumper to make a wrap around rear for the CJ8 but they couldn't be bothered. :unsure:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm sure it helps that you have the magazine. Last year I tried to get them to modify there rear bumper to make a wrap around rear for the CJ8 but they couldn't be bothered. :unsure:

Definitely, this was all due to the SEMA exposure and knowing I’d leave it on to go to EJS. Even then I’m surprised they went along.