Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
Anyone here done a swap with the new 5.6 (I think) hemi? Just wondering how easy it would go into a CJ8...

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Lexington
State
OH
I think it's just a wee bit too soon and expensive for that just yet. We'll probably see it in some highly sponsored competitive rockcrawler first like Currie did with the 4.7 in the Fire Ant.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
American Expedition Vehicles offers it in TJ's and the new TJ Unlimited, still to pricey of a motor for putting into Scramblers. I am sure with enough money, time, electrical and fabrication skill it can be done.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
HMMMMMMMM?!

Hmmmm?!

I've been thinking of this one for a while. Waiting to see what DC does as a crate motor for the hemi.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
This was posted by NED946 over at JU not sure how relevent it is to TJ's but apparently AEV will be offering crate motors (and presumably infered from the add conversion packages) for TJs.

http://members.cox.net/rdovhwebmaster/aev-sema.gif

I will probably always keep an inline in my Scrambler but if I had a newer TJ and lots of cash a 8 and a 5spd transmission would be awesome. I wonder how this will affect emissions legalities, which are only getting more stringent and broader in scope on a state by state basis, on TJs it is swapped into?

Last edited:

Mark D

Basic User
City
Bolton
State
ON
Regarding the 5.7L Hemi

I work at the Chrysler plant were the new Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum are being built.

I've been considering the 5.7L swap, and have done a little homework on what it might take to get it into my Jeep.

As for room in the engine bay, it shouldn't be an issue, assuming no one tries something strange in mounting it.

The motor is drive-by-wire, so there is no traditional linkage for the accelerator cable. The cable now runs to an accelerator postion sensor that would have to be mounted in the engine compartment.

The oil pan is a deep rear-sump pan, and depending on where it is mounted, it might be an issue with the front axle.

It seems that the oil filters are located differently between the cars, 2x4 trucks and 4x4 trucks. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the 4x4 truck oil filters are where we would want them, so that engine probably the one you want. However, Chrysler won't cast 3 different blocks for 3 different applications, so an adapter that is added to the 4x4 applications would be available from the dealership.

The 5.7L block has the same bolt pattern and crank flange offset as a good-old LA small-block.

Street & Performance from Arizona has already swapped this engine into a couple of cars, so they have a wiring harness for it.

Mopar Performance is going to offer a carb version of the 5.7L in a few months.

As for performance, I feel this will be the new Small Block Chevy engine for hot rodders. The rods, pistons and crank are unbeliveably well made and balanced. The valve train is performance oriented, and I've heard that the head flows almost as well as an expensive NASCAR head.

ibscrmbln

Ken Waters
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Topeka
State
KS
I am aware of three different 5.7 swaps that have been completed into Jeeps. One was a CJ8 and the other two are YJ's. Both of the YJ's are in CO and the CJ8 was here in the Army and got transferred to the NW. All used the NV4500 transmission. One was from a GC and the other two from a Dodge truck. They make a fairly natural looking conversion, particularly the one that says Jeep on it.

Later, Ken

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Lexington
State
OH
I think you're mixing up models here, ibscrmbln. There is no GC with a 5.7 Hemi. It would be either a 5.2 or 5.9 from an older model or 4.7 HO from a newer model.

ibscrmbln

Ken Waters
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Topeka
State
KS
Your right, and I believe it was the 5.2.

I only have a contact on one of the YJ's. Email me and I will dig it out of my address book at home.

Ken

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
OK so it's been six years sence I posted this thread... Can you tell it's a slow day? :)

Anyone seen any write ups on a 5.7 hemi swap to CJ/YJ?

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Holy old thread batman!!! :D I'd start at AEV. I saw a number of their JK conversions at a show last month and they were incredible.

You have me thinking... a TJ has a 4.0, so if you do a 4.0 conversion on a Scrambler, wouldn't you think that there would be a way to take that to the Hemi with the AEV kit? I'm sure it would be work and you may need to use the TJ guage cluster, though.

I'm sure it's out there. Bugman on here has a Hemi in his, not sure what year off hand though.

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
I was looking for build threads and the like and haven't seen much on the net about it. I wauld think it would be a popular swap now days. :shrug:

AusCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne, Australia
State
AU
:thumbsup:''Going Postal" I think its gold youve gone and re-birthed one of your posts from 2004 for an update...I can almsot picture you daydreaming about Scramblers and Hemis....then slowly working back through your thoughts to your post 6 years ago!

It such a Scrambler owner thing to do I rekon! :cheers:

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
:thumbsup:''Going Postal" I think its gold youve gone and re-birthed one of your posts from 2004 for an update...I can almsot picture you daydreaming about Scramblers and Hemis....then slowly working back through your thoughts to your post 6 years ago!

It such a Scrambler owner thing to do I rekon! :cheers:
So you mean I'm not the only Scrambler owner to have reoccurring build day dreams!:cheers:

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I just found this thread! I just got back from the Jeepers Jamboree and it was a blast! I took a newspaper publisher and photographer through and they had an eye opening experience.
Yes, I did the Hemi swap from an 07 4x4 truck with the 545RFE 5 spd auto and used my built 231 t-case, which bolted right up, instead of the 241 that hung pretty low. The "fly by wire" throttle was easily worked out and if you use the TJ gauge set up it will be compatible. I had a harness made up because I had previously swapped in a 4.0 from a YJ and used the dash and gauges from that. I'm running 427 gears with a 4:1 reduction in the t-case and man does it go. It also crawls beautifully on extreme trails.
On the Grand Cherokee there was a version that did come with the Hemi. One main difference between the truck version and GC version is the exhaust manifold. The truck dumps down at the rear RIGHT NEXT to the frame and the GC version dumps out in the center making it MUCH easier to do the exhaust. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Oh, and I'm getting between 19 & 20 mpg if I keep my foot out of it.:cheers:

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
Thanks Bugman! You know if there is anyway to do this swap using a stok CJ dash and guages? I would really prefer the stock look...

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
If I could change anything on my rig it would be to go back to the stock dash. I would bet that you could get a wiring harness made to accept the stock gauges but the question would be the difference in amps to drive the old gauges vs the new gauges that the computer is set up for.