Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
So as most of you I'm sure know, I recently purchased an '84 Jeep J10 truck. The truck is pretty clean overall and I don't plan on doing any major build or offroading it. However, it is a rather plain truck and to make it even more utilitarian, it is painted Almond Beige (think 1980's appliance color). When I was looking for a J10 I was hoping to find a Laredo or Honcho package but most were either too much of a project truck or too over priced. So, since this truck is a nice, clean slate I'm wanting to upgrade the looks but still want it to retain a "factory" feel. Since it is not a Honcho package, I don't want to use Honcho decals but I really like the look of the '79 - '80 Honcho stripes. Therefore, I have decided to make a "Renegade" package for it. There was never a "Renegade" package offered on the J10 but obviously there was on the CJ's so it is not hard to imagine AMC offering such a package on the full size Jeeps. I played around with several stripe combinations but I kept coming back to the original stripes as my favorite. Here is the truck as it sits now:

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Here are several stripe ideas I had but I like the last two the best so far:
First, the original Honcho Stripes

These are just some of the better ideas I had:

These are my top two picks as of right now. The only difference is the "Renegade" lettering, one is small with a capitol "R" and the rest lowercase, letters are outlined, and fits within the black line, and the other is all capitols and bleeds into the orange on the top and bottom of the black stripe:

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Other than the decals, other mods I'm planning on are; a small lift, 3"-4" running 32" BFG AT's, either original chrome wagon wheels or painting the white wheels a silver color, adding Marchal fog lights to the rollbar (rollbar was not original on this truck but was added by PO), adding an original brushguard and Marchal fogs on it as well. I also want to find an original rear bumper. On the interior, I want to add an original "machined" overlay on the gauge panel and reupholster the bench seat and door panels in a similar fashion to the Honcho interior panels. I also will be repairing the small bit of rust on the bed (under the yellow tape) and I'm thinking of having color-matched Line-x sprayed in the bed. As far as mechanicals go, I'm going to leave it pretty much stock however, the tailpipe is rusted so I will be replacing it and upgrading the muffler, and it feels like it has pretty high gearing (not sure what ratio yet) so I may regear if needed. That is all I have planned for it and I'm in no huge rush so I will do a little at a time and update here as I go. I'm still waiting on space at the inlaws shop to get the Scrambler in and tore down so this is keeping me busy in the meantime! If any of you have other ideas on the stripes or anything else, I'm open to suggestions!

Last edited:
City
Maryville
State
TN
Of the proposed pics, I like the first renegade pic 2nd best but the last Renegade picture the best. The next to last is too busy. Nice find BTW.......

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Of the proposed pics, I like the first renegade pic 2nd best but the last Renegade picture the best. The next to last is too busy. Nice find BTW.......
I went back and numbered each pic so you can refrence them by number, it will probably be easier then trying to say first, next to last, third from top minus the second...

mkoneod

Legacy Registered User
City
West Chester
State
pa
I think the truck is a great canvas...small lift, some tires and a little decal love and that truck will be very nice..

I was always a fan of the lower decals like on the cherokee chiefs...Just my OP

If this is a poll...1st Renegade pic works for me.

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
I'm not a big fan of ANY decals really, but I think #5 looks best Josh.

While you're photochopping, why not try a two-tone from the lowest body line downwards, & include the flares...I've always wanted to see a J-truck painted that way :popcorn:

mkoneod

Legacy Registered User
City
West Chester
State
pa
I'm not a big fan of ANY decals really, but I think #5 looks best Josh.

While you're photochopping, why not try a two-tone from the lowest body line downwards, & include the flares...I've always wanted to see a J-truck painted that way :popcorn:
I'l popcorn to that:popcorn:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Thanks for the feedback! If you have any suggestions for other stripe ideas that I might be interested in, let me know and I will see if I can make a rendering of it. Right now, repainting the truck is not an option. I will be doing minimal body work and respraying the original color but that is it. There is a ton of work to do if you try to change colors and you want it to look right. I would have to tear out the interior and a lot of the engine stuff to paint the engine bay and dash, doors, and interior. As for a two-tone paint job, this color (Almond Beige) just doesn't lend itself to a two-tone paint job without looking a little too "Grandpa truck" to me. Not to mention, the decals will help to disguise some of the imperfections in the paint/bodywork.

mkoneod

Legacy Registered User
City
West Chester
State
pa
I like the almond beige. Its a basic color that I think will "pop" very well once you do said items to it.

skiptown

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Madison
State
WI
I'm with Jeff...the plain truck looks great maybe a little color on the first lower raised panel from behind the front wheeel all the way to the rear.... My Lincoln Mark 7 is the dark Burgany and the bottom panle is a dark almost black trim paint...

Any one remember Mannix (first season...ok Im dating myself LOL) and his white Toranado with the burgany trim...looked very cool!

but if decals are in the trucks future #5 looks pretty good

BigwoolyD

Legacy Registered User
City
Athens
State
AL
Here's a picture of the 1982 Honcho Stripes, I really like the look of the black honcho truck picture that you posted, perfect height and tire size.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Here's a picture of the 1982 Honcho Stripes, I really like the look of the black honcho truck picture that you posted, perfect height and tire size.
Thanks for that picture! Now I'm debating because I really like those stripes too...hmmmm. Well, the first thing I need to do is get a new windshield for it and then address the little rust issue so the stripes will have to wait.

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
One more:

There are so many options I'm just having a hard time narrowing it down. I will just have to proceed with my other plans for the truck and just keep thinking about what stripes I really want.