• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeep Scrambler Whitco half top parts, bulkhead, and other CJ8 stuff

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
I've owned a few Scramblers in the past and always keep an eye out for another. Recently, I ran across one being parted out. I've tried to pick all of it up, but the seller isn't willing to let it go all together. In looking over the parts there, I ran across an original Whitco half top with hardware and storage bag in this part out. The top itself has hard, crusty windows that are yellowed, and the top looks old, but may clean up possibly. I've heard thru the grapevine that a soft half top replacement is not being made for this frame. Is that correct? I have access to this soft top frame, the original top, and the storage bag which appears to be in great shape. it is all nutmeg color from an 81 -8. This CJ-8 was probably a barn find before it was picked over, but I can't undo what is already done with the part out so far. I'd like to score the tub and frame to build from in the future, but it's a craps shoot if that will happen due to lack of dmv paperwork.

What is the value in the CJ8 world of these half soft top factory parts? Also have the bulkhead and it's a cream puff. I'd call it 97 out of 100. Has 1 small dent. No rust, & very good original brown/gold paint. It had never been removed from the -8. If I end up the tub and frame for a custom Scrambler build, I will have no plans for the bulkhead or the factory nutmeg soft top, frame and storage bag.

This 81 has a lot of the original smog parts like the canister inside in the driver side fender. My build would not include an original 6 cyl or smog stuff. In addition the steering box and fuel tank are still there too. I'm still working the angles to get the tub and frame, but might only end up with various other parts.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
There's value to them. You might get in touch with Scramblin Man.

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
Here are a few pics of the parts I ran across. Is this the factory soft top, as I suspect it is? Does it look like all the pieces of the frame are there? There are a few other small pieces in the bag, not in the pictures. Is an aftermarket soft top canvas being made to fit this frame?

I forgot to snap a pic of the factory canvas, which is in okay shape but window is hard. The soft doors, were those ever offered factory? The canvas and windows are crusty, but frames are good. I didn't mention those before.

On a good note, I might be able to bring home what is left which gets me back into the CJ8 world. It's not complete, but the base is there in body & frame. Been out too long already, and hoping to end up scoring this picked over barn find Scrambler.

_mKG5jJd_6GNj2RVEcyHrsN6wqwT8XcPWujSi2rG-1.jpg

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Factory soft top for factory soft doors. The only piece I see missing is the foam pad that goes on the crossbar to keep the top from rubbing on it. Maybe it's there somewhere out of sight?

They did make a hard door version of the top, too. No one makes direct replacements any more, but you might contact @jallan, he had a trove of NOS half tops a while back. Maybe not nutmeg, but some other colors.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I might still have that peice for the cross bar in nutmeg. If you don't find it in that scrambler let me know.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Actually I think I see it in that second picture sticking out between the top and the door.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
There should be 2 of these (this is a left side. the right side is a mirror image of the left)
s0GYBzbQapj9LztqWZ91GQDUSDlscfu9QS5cSAAS-1.jpg

I only see 1 of the 2 small knobs (red plastic knob with a bolt sticking out) to hold the cross support to the side frame pieces. The other one may be there but can't see at that angle.

There would also have been 2 small black plastic pieces that attach to top of the Jeep tub at the ends of the bulkhead that hold the lower ends of the bow in place.
20170704_150535_resized.jpg

Last edited:

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
Yes the crossbar foam cover is there, as well as the plastic pieces for the door and the small plastic pieces for the tub. I didn't see the sheet metal pieces but both vertical posts have the red knob for attaching. So it sounds like this top is fairly complete. I do know it's missing the brackets for the windshield frame. Looked all over and they are MIA.

So I'm back in the Scrambler world as of this week. Part of this CJ8 followed me home. :woohoo: I still need to go back for more of it, one piece at a time. It has axles under it, but I think I'm leaving them since they're a 20 rear and 30 front, 2.73 ratios. Trans is there, but I think it's an SR4? Worthy?? Not much else is left besides previously mentioned parts and a 258, that previously caught fire topside. Are the full soft doors rebuildable with new door skins or is that one that no one reproduces skins for? The frames & latches seem in great shape. I haven't brought the full soft doors home yet. If you see anything in any of the pics I've posted that you'd like picked up for you, please pm me.

The adapter for the transfer case is throwing me for a loop. I see 3 bolts on drivers side at adapter to transfer case, but only see 2 bolts on passenger side of the adapter-transfer case. I thought there were 6 bolts at that connection?

TCtues4A9xi4kk09Ey7leOrP_01yyf77PiFToBtF-1.jpg

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Leave the sr4. The only good 4 speed was the T176 trans in those years. I would try really hard to get the whole Jeep if you are looking to build one. Even if the tub and frame was completely junk. There are so many little things like wierd brackets, switches, etc. you will need to build a complete vehicle.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
If the sheet metal pieces you are talking about are the ones in my post, they are for hard door and not needed for soft door 1/2 tops.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
You said you had no plans for the top frame and storage bag. I could use the frame and would like the bag for a pattern. If you want to sell them or trade them let me know.

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
I am trying to get the whole jeep, or what is left of it, minus the engine, trans, & axles. My plan is to drop a V8-auto and maybe some waggy D44 axles in it. If that doesn't pan out, then a 4.0EFI-auto will do.

Is that a SR4 trans? I am not sure.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
SR4 was only used a couple years in jeeps, like 80-81. Reverse is up and to the left. That being said it looks to be either an SR4, T4 or 5. None of the transmissions in that family are known for strength or reliability.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I agree - to me it looked like a T4 (if it's a known 4spd), but a T5 is very similar and I think we may need to see the other side to tell.