• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeep side steps

DRILLROD

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rose Hill
State
NC
I have a set of jeep side steps that have raised diamond shapes pressed in the bottom of the steps. Its not the short steps like was on the older cjs, it is the long style like was on the later models. Does anyone know what year models these came on?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I believe those only came on 1982 models. After that, the steps were flat (no diamonds). :shrug:

I have a set of those too, and that's what I was told when I got them.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Quite positive that the long diamond pattern steps came on the 1981 models and were painted black. The smooth style with the grip tape started in 1982 and were painted black through 1983 or 1984 (not sure on this). Thereafter, they were painted body color.

DRILLROD

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rose Hill
State
NC
I am getting ready to paint a smooth set for my 1984 SR Sport CJ8. Is there anyone else that has an opinion on whether they should be body color or black? Thanks for your input.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
When in doubt I always Google search the sales brochure. Sometimes it helps

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
My two 84 original paint Scramblers had color matched side steps one was a SL the other a SR. My NOS 82 SE diamond pattern steps are black. I say color matched on your 84.