• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeeps and Kids

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
I just posted this on the JU fourm but know many here can relate as well.

My 2 yr. old son has grasped the idea to taking the jeep to the woods. Last night while I was finishing up a couple of things that needed to be done to the jeep before the Dixie Run clay wanted to sit in the driver’s seat and pretend to drive. He got into the seat and the first thing he wanted me to do was make sure his seat belt was buckled. He pretended to drive, working the searing wheel, turn signal, and gearshift (parking brake was set). I asked him what were we going to go do next weekend and with out any hesitation he said wheelen, gona climb rocks. On our last trip to Tellico, back in August, every time we would get to a rough place or had to climb over an obstacle he would be yelling "Do it Daddy, do it” with a big smile on his face and his arms up in the air.

I can’t wait till he is a little older and he starts wanting to help with the maintenance and adding modifications to the 8 or to Clay, “the big ole jeep”

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I hear ya. My girl can't wait for this weekend, she's tried to help, in her own ways, to get our 8 ready for our 1st trip. It won't be this weekend, we're riding with wildturkeycj8, but as far as our trip in our 8- that will be soon & real special!

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
My 2 1/2 year old loves helping me out in the garage. He's great for picking up wrenches, nuts, bolts and other things I've dropped to the ground. Most of the time he just plays with the air nozzle on my compressor. I've got two lines from the comressor so I can use my tools while he blows everything around. He loves wheelin' in Daddy's Jeep and I can't wait to take him in Mama's Jeep (the Scrambler).

RobF

Basic User
City
Barnes
State
KS
My 11 year old son is my wheelin' buddy. If I even look like I'm goin' wheelin' he usually beats me to the Jeep. Anytime I'm working on the Frog he's out there too, askin' questions and helping out. The weather doesn't matter, if his friends are over and I'm heading out wheelin', he's pretty blunt with them, "you can go home or go wheelin'...I'm goin' wheelin'!" Only problem is, he thinks he's getting the Frog when he gets his license! Dream on!!:D

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
that is great!

RJ,
Just remember to teach him the tread lightly program when he gets old enough-my kid use to lay under my Jeep and "wrench" on things,but now they are older they don't have as much interest-even tho the kid still enjoys the easy trails-Just not into the tough stuff that i live for-JC:D ,but still a proud Daddy:D I'm hoping as the kid gets older and gets bored with the TV and Video games and the chores they will want to join me more-JC:D

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
I have very fond memories of sitting in all of my father's Jeeps over the years from the FC170 to CJ5's to Wagoneers, Jeep "J" Trucks, all the way to the Scrambler i now own. They are thoughts that often come back to me when my 3 year old plays in the CJ 8 or in the J4000. He has already told me he can't wait to have his own Jeep.

MadGoat

Basic User
another proud Poppa

My eight year old daughter loves to cruise through town with the top and doors off. My 5 year old son giggles uncontrollably whenever we ride through the mud or even a big splash puddle. I don't have flares yet so there is plenty of spray.
He also loves to help me "fix" the jeep. Sometimes I loosen the spare tire rack mounting bolts in the bed, hand him the socket wrench and let him go-to-town on them. Other times when I'm wrenchin' he'll come around from the other side with some part that he has removed while I wasn't looking. (usually a screw we can't determine from where.:)

good times
MG

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
Re: another proud Poppa

MadGoat said:
Other times when I'm wrenchin' he'll come around from the other side with some part that he has removed while I wasn't looking. (usually a screw we can't determine from where.:)

good times
MG

LOL, That could lead to some interesting situations. Parts coming of at the least inopportune time. :D

JC,
even if Clay does not get into jeeps the tread lighly idea, and a healthy respect for nature and the enviroment. I think he is looking forward to this weekend alsmot as much I am. It was just he bigest kick to see him in the drivers seat and ask him what we were going to do this weekend and hear him say wheelen :D

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
ahhh the memories

Fond memories. My mother blames my jeep addiction on my father. My first word was jeep. My first wheeling trip was a 6 weeks to the Westco challenge in 1973. Its in my blood now. I have many fond memories of wheeling with my dad. Go forth now and forge some new memories with your kids now.

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
My kids always want me to pick them and their friends up in the scrambler. They think it's cool and they have a great time riding in it and 4 wheeling. Only one problem...JC and Jefe and guys like that have the REAL cool jeeps "why isn't our jeep that high up?" "When are you gonna get bigger tires?" (I only have 3+" of lift and 32s right now!), etc. etc.! Well, at least they are thinking along the same lines that I am for future mods! But despite all their grumblings, I know they they feel special riding in the scrambler and they understand the free feeling of open-air Jeep riding!
good topic RJ!
-Mike

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
BIG JEEPS AND KIDS

Lets all face it guys,We are all big kids with big toys at heart.It makes me smile to see a kid get all worked up when they see my jeep running down the road,even as much as i love to rock crawl,just seeing their smiles and looks,makes me feel like everything i've done and all the time i've invested is worth it:D My kid still loves to ride to town and go get ice cream at the local Sonic in the Jeep.I still get help from time to time when i'm wrenching on it,so that makes me smile:D I think with a lot of us it brings back alot of memories of Dad or Grandpa,It makes me think of all the time i spent behind the wheel of my grandpa's 66 ford pickup driving around on his 900 acre farm,I couldn't even reach the pedals or see where i was going,But man i got to steer!-JC:D