JK Rear Seat (2 DR) in my LJ

yellow_dolphin

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne
State
fl
This one is different than others or at least did not find any threads of this being done.

My wife motivated this thread after our last Jeep Jamboree trip. After we came back she says to me... I want a rear seat with headrests in our LJ. She feels that the kids will be a little more protected and more comfortable. At this point one is out of the car seat and the other is soon to be. So did some research of what others have done and found these ideas:

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...eat-in-a-TJ-LJ

forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/119472-JK-Rear-seat-back-in-a-LJ

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...n-seat-tj.html

And others in which they simply drill the TJ's back seat frame and add head rests.

I liked the idea of a JK 2 door rear seat and immediately started looking for one. That same day I found a Jeep owner selling his 2016 JK 2 door rear seat for $60! The seat still looks new! Either way I could not loose on this one, so I brought it home.

My friend Bob and I started studying the JK seat in the LJ and figured out the following:
- The front latches from the JK will latch onto the LJ floor bracket. Minor tweak required.
- The pins for the rear latches in the JK are smaller than in the LJ. Minor tweak required.
- The JK floor bracket’s pins are higher in the front than in the rear.
- The latches front to back and side to side between the two models are really close. So I bought TJ floor brackets as these are 4 independent pieces that allow adjustment. Cost $60 shipped to my house. The LJ brackets are "fixed" front to back.
- We could fit the bottom of the seat between the LJ wheel wells by cutting and shrinking the bottom frame. The rear latch mechanisms will have to be swapped from sides. The slits for the cart seat latches will have to be moved.
- We could then cut and shrink the back frame to fit the bottom frame. The cutting is not the same as the one posted on the links above!
- We would have to remove very small sections of foam from the back cushion only.
- Use the LJ seat belt latch because they are not compatible. Eliminate the JK seat belt latch from the seat.

I then measured the frame's tubes and pipes and bought some tube and pipe to strengthen some of the places We cut and rejoined. I bought material that I did not use, but it was part of the learning experience. The extra metal used cost about $32 and I have plenty left over.

Therefore, after some careful planning and cutting, grinding, welding and painting, here is the final product installed!

Both kids and adults are comfortable in this seat.

Attachments

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I did my own version of this in my LJ. I modified the back of the JK seat frame to fit the bottom of the TJ seat frame. I now have TJ and JK upholstery but they are close enough that I dont really care. only issue is that it doesnt "flip and fold" anymore which is a pain. I may redo it some day but probably not! lol
I also installed a 2 door JK back seat in my Scrambler. That took a lot more work. Had to narrow the entire seat frame 5" which required 2 sections of 2.5" to be cut out to keep the flip handle in the same spot. center upholstery panel was narrowed 2.5" on each side as well. seat foam also narrowed.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hah, when I saw the title, I was going to come in and post "Paging Bad Karma"

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
This one is different than others or at least did not find any threads of this being done.

My wife motivated this thread after our last Jeep Jamboree trip. After we came back she says to me... I want a rear seat with headrests in our LJ. She feels that the kids will be a little more protected and more comfortable. At this point one is out of the car seat and the other is soon to be.

Therefore, after some careful planning and cutting, grinding, welding and painting, here is the final product installed!

Both kids and adults are comfortable in this seat.
Looks good. I'm past the need for a full time rear seat but can appreciate the upgrade.
It's nice to not have to decide what vehicle to use based on safety/comfort.

Is that your AEV?
Some exterior pics would be nice. :thumbsup:

yellow_dolphin

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne
State
fl
I did my own version of this in my LJ. I modified the back of the JK seat frame to fit the bottom of the TJ seat frame. I now have TJ and JK upholstery but they are close enough that I dont really care. only issue is that it doesnt "flip and fold" anymore which is a pain. I may redo it some day but probably not! lol
I also installed a 2 door JK back seat in my Scrambler. That took a lot more work. Had to narrow the entire seat frame 5" which required 2 sections of 2.5" to be cut out to keep the flip handle in the same spot. center upholstery panel was narrowed 2.5" on each side as well. seat foam also narrowed.

Bad Karma, it seems that we tackle the project in different ways. I did think about doing what you did and just cutting everything down the middle but I really wanted to keep the floor brackets in the LJ in the same location. Also I tried to minimize cutting of the frames.

Did you do a write up on yours? I would looked to see it.

We also considered buying an aftermarket seat but the back and the headrest still seem low. Therefore, invested the money in a welder instead!:D

yellow_dolphin

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne
State
fl
Bad Karma, yes, I had seen your LJ rear seat write up and referenced it in the original post. I guess the link did not copy write. I was going to go that route but decided to not have two halves of different seats laying around or try to sell them.

I also noticed the Pirate4x4 link did not copy correctly either.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
This is what makes our Jeep World what it is. World class individuality opertunities with Every Jeep. :wave: