JMU Scrambler rebuild.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Should have started this about a month ago. Oh well here goes.
Built my sisters scrambler about ten years ago out of spare parts I had lying around while I was in the process of building mine. Wasn’t meant to be hanging around for long but she liked it and claimed it. Over the year we have done a lot of upgrades, fuel injection, t18 with granny low, and right before she had her son we manage to get some Dana 44 axles built and under her jeep.
Well fast forward a couple years, I finished my dads jeep, got my big one done, so now it’s time to give hers the facelift it’s been needing. The plan is strip it down, new much needed armor, new seats, new gauges, lower gears in the Dana 20 for crawling, and some sort of cage to protect her crew.
732078C0-D304-4140-A9FA-63F4FCCA4103.jpeg

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
when I first put this thing together is was kind of a hodge podge of parts. Over the years she has beat it pretty good and the real reason for all this work is the bod is so tweaked now that the passenger door does not wan to shut.
68088C6E-4702-4728-9F60-6E3511D68138.jpeg
Also know that this jeep was purchased from the original owner that used to wheel it up and down the east coast at jeep jamboree’s. The original dash had about ten trail ride Plaques.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Awesomeness. Are you the one handling all the sheet metal welding? I need to see all these examples of how this can actually be done well to get my courage up to tackle mine.
Yes I did the sheet metal welding. Basicly spot welds going around the panel and taking your time so you dont heat it up and warp it. Tack it all in place then spot weld move a couple inches away and spot weld again. keep repeating until your done. On a few of them i would leave them and then come back after they cooled and continued.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Yes I did the sheet metal welding. Basicly spot welds going around the panel and taking your time so you dont heat it up and warp it. Tack it all in place then spot weld move a couple inches away and spot weld again. keep repeating until your done. On a few of them i would leave them and then come back after they cooled and continued.
Spot welding, like this?! Or could you suggest a good one if that won't hack it. This is BRILLIANT!
I don't trust myself with a regular welder ;)
Got me rethinking some things..... oh & watching!
PS- so I take it you hunt too, lol. Nice rack collection

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Spot welding, like this?! Or could you suggest a good one if that won't hack it. This is BRILLIANT!
I don't trust myself with a regular welder ;)
Got me rethinking some things..... oh & watching!
PS- so I take it you hunt too, lol. Nice rack collection
That spot welder helps out a lot for full floor sections, or the areas of the feet of the rollbar in a Scrambler (as long as you can flip the tub over).

As for panel work, it probaby wouldn't work that well... it is designed to weld 2 piece together through heat, it causes distortion where the spot is, and if you had tip to tip contact, you would end up grounding it out I imagine (haven't tried that yet, I always had metal in between).

cb

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Also have a painter lined up. My normal guy is slammed right now. Should hopefully be dropping stuff off tomorrow for him to get started.

jpnmaine

CJ-8.com Member
City
East Wilton
State
ME
Really liked how you addressed the rear wheel rust repair detail. I was planning on chopping a few rusty front fenders for the wheel well edge detail and use them for the rear wheel well detail. Might not go through the effort.
Also the dana 300..did it have the texas bolt pattern? If so you are lucky indeed.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Really liked how you addressed the rear wheel rust repair detail. I was planning on chopping a few rusty front fenders for the wheel well edge detail and use them for the rear wheel well detail. Might not go through the effort.
Also the dana 300..did it have the texas bolt pattern? If so you are lucky indeed.
yes the dana 300 did have the texas bolt pattern. Hit up Jims chop shop on here I think he has another scout dana 300 on the way.