• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

JP Magazine Done

Challenger

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
I finally caught up on my JP magazine reading, and noticed that they stopped in March. Called the number to see if I missed a issue or my subscription ran out and they said JP magazine along with 18 other magazines are no more. Dose any one know why? Bummer it was nice to have the magazine to read when traveling.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I think that Four Wheeler is about the only one left.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Seems like BW said something a while back about the demise of most of these magazines. Unfortunately written paper is on the way out. I only get 1 magazine delivered to my house these days and it only comes every other month.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I am curious what they do/did with the remain subscription money they have from everybody???

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I guess they keep the money. I lost at also. They sent a letter that you can read it on line

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Seems like BW said something a while back about the demise of most of these magazines. Unfortunately written paper is on the way out. I only get 1 magazine delivered to my house these days and it only comes every other month.
The only magazine we get is the free one our town sends out every month. Just don't read much in print any more.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Autoweek went the same way a few months ago. They moved the remainder of the subscription to Car and Driver. It's too bad, but I get it. We're paying for the content more so than the delivery medium.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
I had digital subscriptions through Amazon Kindle to 6 of the magazines they discontinued. Most renewed the month prior to all of those magazines being discontinued. I started receiving 3 digital copies of MotorTrend and 3 of FourWheeler. There was a notation on the cover of each specifying which subscription the magazine was tied to. Amazon sent refunds after I cancelled all but MotorTrend and FourWheeler. I didn't expect or ask for refunds. I always resisted digital subs until I picked up a 12.9" iPad which is almost the size of the print mag...and you can zoom in. Love digital magazines now...especially JPFreek.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
so the letter I got from the owner of all the magazine titles said their publisher told them that they were continuing only FourWheeler and one of each of the other genres, ALL others were terminated. Those of us with paid subscriptions would get an e subscription for a while and a limited duration of Motortrend channel on Youtube

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Just found 1 of mine , I had over a year on my subscription?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yep, the publisher, not the magazine. If people didn’t know, a big media entity was gobbling up every automotive print magazine they could find for a number of years. Forcing up advertising costs because they became the 800 lb gorilla and enough people finally told them to pound sand.

In general, my personal take is that the proliferation of digital content/social media channels/influencer marketing/Jeep shows spread companies too thin and only the lowest-end/cheapest ad buys were maintained. Any serious content delivery channel like JP (and to a lesser extent JPFreek) have sunk costs and overhead that can’t survive this kind of thinking by advertisers.

People are too easily swayed by “like” or “reach” numbers which ultimately have such little actual value it’s insane and have forgotten the importance and value of quality, meaningful content. :shrug:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I agree with that. I'm down to 1 great magazine that is high quality and I'm hoping that one lasts. Smithsonian Air & Space. Can't say enough about it !

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
in 2001 when I started my first out of college job, you took a magazine or newspaper into the can....
in 2005 or so when taking your cell phone into the can was more common, I started taking magazines on airplanes and on roadtrips....
in 2012 or so when I got an Iphone, and was getting on airplanes less due to a job change, My magazines really started piling up. I cancelled half my mags....even the $12 a year ones werent surviving...
in 2017 I left my job permamently and cancelled all my subscriptions....

I liked reading the mags to see how many times CB could get in the readers rides sections... I think he holds a record.

I once submitted an airborne Chevy Celebrity station wagon to 4wheel and Off road...and it was selected for pic of the month. I think that was the first time ever a car made it into that pic....

my story...for what its worth. The moral of the story if there is one, life changes often..been changing since 1977 for me....

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I hate to say it, mainly because this site is such a breath of fresh air compared to other forums, but the advent of forums has killed most informational magazines. There is much more (meaningful) information disseminated on forums than in the magazines.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
I currently am ----er----WAS a subscriber to JP Magazine, I did not know it was cancelled until seeing this thread. It's a shame really, my 7 and 4 year old would grab it from the mailbox and run down the driveway to give it to me shouting "DAD! you got a new jeep magazine." Then I would sit and read the whole thing with them.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
in 2001 when I started my first out of college job, you took a magazine or newspaper into the can....
in 2005 or so when taking your cell phone into the can was more common, I started taking magazines on airplanes and on roadtrips....
in 2012 or so when I got an Iphone, and was getting on airplanes less due to a job change, My magazines really started piling up. I cancelled half my mags....even the $12 a year ones werent surviving...
in 2017 I left my job permamently and cancelled all my subscriptions....

I liked reading the mags to see how many times CB could get in the readers rides sections... I think he holds a record.

I once submitted an airborne Chevy Celebrity station wagon to 4wheel and Off road...and it was selected for pic of the month. I think that was the first time ever a car made it into that pic....

my story...for what its worth. The moral of the story if there is one, life changes often..been changing since 1977 for me....

We actually got int he same magazine together... Apr 2011... your white J truck and the silver CJ7... yours was at the show and mine was a Reader's ride... but yeah, you made me laugh pretty good on that one... I have like 8 or so... and even the wife's made it in one time, so I guess technically 9...

cb

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I hate to say it, mainly because this site is such a breath of fresh air compared to other forums, but the advent of forums has killed most informational magazines. There is much more (meaningful) information disseminated on forums than in the magazines.
Niche Forums were huge pre-facebook. Many good ones went under, sadly. There were crap tons of hyper specific hands on knowledge lost. That is, unless you're lucky enough to find it on the way back machine.