Kaiser8, Scrangler, JC, Fernando...all big rigs...how high is yours?

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
richmond
State
va
I know I've been lame about updating my build thread, but I have been slowly working on getting the jeep done. Put the tub back on this weekend and....WOW...sits higher than I thought it would!:eek:

Sitting on 38s with RE 1.5" springover, with the shackles that came with my previous RE 4.5" lift, and a 1" daystar body lift, the bottom of the tub is right at 36" from the garage floor. This is just the motor and tub mounted up yet, no bumper/winch, cage, doors, windshield, or seats.

I will try and post a pic or two tomorrow.

So a couple of questions....

1. Can I expect it to settle some with the added weight yet to be installed?

2. Should I remove the 1" body lift and just go with stock size pucks? I would have to customize the floor pan to clear the transfer case, but that is not too big of a problem (BFH). Also, maybe the shackles are giving it a little lift, too (I'll measure them tomorrow).

3. To give me a frame of reference, how high is yours sitting (measuring form the floor to the bottom of the rocker panel?

4. I am concerned about my center of gravity being too high. I narrowed the axles 4", but am only using 4" backspacing on the wheels, so hopefully that's gonna be ok.

Maybe it's "normal" height for 38s and SOA on 1-tons....just looks really big to me. I guess it will take some getting used to...

Thanks!

-Mike

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Hehehe...I just test fit 38's on mine yesterday and am in the same boat. I'll leave it as it is and see what happens with a couple of wheeling trips on it.

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
I kind of know what you mean about the height shock. After having my tub sit on a utility trailer while doing the presevation project, when we first set the tub back on the frame it was like "holy mackeral, didn't remember it sitting that high!". And thats only with stock springs SOA, 1" body lift, 1/2" lift shackles and 35s..

So the only thing you have over me is the 1-1/2" RE springs and larger tires. Seems like that is going to be the correct setup since I know I can stuff my 35s pretty good.

For your reference, my floor to rocker panel measures 31". Would guess your setup should be about 34-1/2" (1/2 for axle diameter, 1-1/2" for springs, 1-1/2" for tires). Air pressure in the tires could make a 1" - 2" difference in height.

scrangler

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Topeka
State
KS
My rocker is 34" on 44's. But I, running coilovers. Beths is at 32" on 42,s with the same springs on a 60 front. Lower is better, trust me.

City
Aurora
State
IL
33" to the bottom of the rockers.
Take out the BL and "massage" the tub with the BFH to clear the t-case. It doesn't take much to clear when the 300 is clocked flat.
Mike

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
Mike i'll have to get a measurement on mine...........but it will settle some once you flex the springs on a trail or two...............then once all the weight is on them they will compress a little more i would suppect it should settle about 1" or so maybe even 1 1/2" after a few rides...........When you rode in mine it was sitting on 39's with a 1" body lift and 1" lift springs........I'll try to get you a measurement on mine......but keep in mind i'm running 42's right now and 2 1/2" lift springs.....................If your running the NV4500 tranny your going to need that 1" body lift or you will have to cut the floor out some more to clear the top of the tranny..............Ok checked mine and it sits right at 33 1/2" to the bottom of the rockers........Mike i wouldn't fret to much on it untill you have everything back together,the shackel bolts adjusted. and run it at least once.............you will be surprised how much it will settle with all the weight on it and the springs flexed out a few times...................

Last edited:

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
Not that mine is in the same class but I put in 2.5" springs yesterday and after reading this I thought I would see where it's at. With 37's, 1" BL and 2.5 springs 30.5". That will probably settle down a little though.

Last edited:

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
mike that sounds about right...mine is 33.5 with my setup...37's , 2 inch rancho springs SOA and no body lift....i will never go higher...i am going to put on 41's this winter...but i am gonna break out the sawsall and trim the fenders to fit tj flares...

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
richmond
State
va
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm going to pull out the 1" BL (will use it on the other cj8) and then see where I'm at after all the extra weight is added once the jeep is put back together and after a few trail rides.

Thanks again!

-Mike

City
Louisville
State
co
dadscj8 said:
I'm on 44's with leaf's and a 1'' body lift; 34 1/2 inches from bottom of rocker.
Your Jeep sure has grown up since the first time I meet you in the Mcdonalds parking lot Phil. Nice work!

TK

Scott Mine

Legacy Registered User
City
Arnaudville
State
LA
Rig Height

I am 36" just under the door. But i am looking to lower that a little by 2 inches hopefully before the event.