• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

kayline snaps

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
The mornings here are starting to get chilly, and I'm going to be gone for a couple of weeks coming up, so I thought I'd put the full Kayline soft top on while I had the chance.

In doing so, I noticed I have a few snaps that secure the rear brace to the top, just above the rear window, that have broken off. Forgive my ignorance, but are there clasp riveters or small kits of some sort to repair these?

On top of that, one of the plastic cinches that tighten the rear to the body broke, and the other one is on the way out. I may check out the army/navy store in town to see if they have anything to replace that, but any ideas are welcome.

Thanks for your help,
-Nick

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The snaps I've seen on the bows just screw on with sheet metal screws. Trick is finding ones with heads small enough to go in the center of the snap without deforming the snap (makes it hard/impossible to get snap together.

I used some stainless steel screws and just ground the edges of the screw head off with a dremel when I did my last snap repair. Bestop sells snap repair kits with both sides of the snap and the tool to install the female side in the top. I used a number of them to rehab my old soft top. I had to find my own screws IIRC though.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Thanks BW, I never thought to check for Bestop supplies - I just kept searching for "Kayline snap repair." The pieces that are broken on mine are the inside half of the female ends of the snap that attach to the fabric sections.

Turns out everyone has Bestop snap repair kits, I'll let everyone know how they work out. (And soon to be posting pictures of how the restore stands and will stand for a while until I can afford a new tub!)
-Nick

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
I got a pack of snaps from the local hardware store. They just install with small phillips screws.

Mine is an old bestop.