• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Keys

prusko

Basic User
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Wanting to get a duplicate key for my '85. I would like nos or replica of the old. I like the nostalgia of having the original AMC logo. I'm trying to figure out the type/style (not sure of the right word). RA-5 ignition and RA-3 for the other for example.

I believe I have some on ebay but want to be sure before I purchase. They are not cheap.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210809-144035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210809-144035_Samsung Internet.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 11

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I bought a set of those a couple years ago and they turned out not to fit. But I think the reason was because I had replaced the Ignition cylinder at some point and the "stock" replacement ignition cylinder from Quadratec is now a GM unit.

Last edited:

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I had some replacement keys cut a month or two ago, they couldn't use the AMC or Jeep/Chrysler keys to make the new ones, but GM ones worked just fine. I know AMC used a bunch of GM parts originally, so this would make sense. FYI, my column and ignition appear stock.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
If someone were to produce a GM key with an AMC logo I would be in for 4 of them.

prusko

Basic User
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Ok. Thank you. I was at a locksmith today and they kept mentioning GM. What they gave me didn't work. He also said "SA." I'm now thinking that is referring to the key type.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Here's my 2 cents as I have these for my Jeeps. RA4 keys will work for up to 1984 CJs and J-trucks (probably other models but that's all I have). The RA5-J keys (shown above and J is the important designation) work with 1985-1986 because the lock cylinder is different than pre-1985. The J keys are definitely harder to find and Jessers is the only place I've found them. I can find RA4 keys here and there (mostly AMC but AMC/Jeep ones pop up). For $10 on Ebay, someone is selling 2 pair of AMC-branded RA4/RA3 blanks. The RA3 door/accessory keys work for all years.

Here's a link to the AMC keys for $10: eBay Link to AMC Keys

Prusko - If you have a standard factory ignition cylinder, the Jessers J keys should fit your 1985. Important tip, I would have a trusted locksmith do the work and have him/her practice on a generic RA5-J blank for $4-$5. You do not want the locksmith screwing up on the NOS blank. Before you even go to the locksmith, try to put the key blank in the ignition. If it slides in, its compatible. If not, the key is wrong for your cylinder.

Weird fact that someone might corroborate, I have found through a few original Scramblers that they use the same RA4 key for ignition and door locks, and the RA3 key for only the console and glove doors. This is different than CJ-5s/7s that use the oval key for doors. I have no idea if that is across years but found true for a 1982 and 2 1983 Scramblers.

prusko

Basic User
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Thank you. Invaluable info that I truly appreciate. I have a very reputable locksmith (Abingdon Lock) in my area. They'll do the cutting.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Interesting chart. Using google, the B46 appears to be the RA5-J key (and a GM-key) so makes sense.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had a few sets of the AMC blanks. I’ll have to find them. I’m rekeying to the double cut single key system so I won’t be using them.