Kick'n it Old School (new wheels & tires)

CJeep

Scrambled
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Easton
State
CT
Well,

Seems like Toyo got back to it after the tsunami, so I finally got to replace my BFG ATs, that were manufactured - get this - in 1997. Sad, but for all of the dry rot, these things have like 95% of the tread left.

Here's a hint:

I decided I wanted skinnier tires, but not 34X9.50 swampers, so I went with 33 X 10.50 on an 8" wheel Back at X-mas time, I scored some old-school wagon wheels, all 5 for $41.

So, I'm digging the width of the tires, the white wagons, and the serious tread. Can't wait to try this rubber off-road.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I love the white wagons - I just painted mine last month. I'll post some pics sometime this week, repainted the shocks and put new boots on and just had a new front bumper built for my 8274. Rather post them all in the same post.

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Looks GREAT! Love the old wagons!!!

Before going with chrome wagons, I researched doing older Jeep wheels, body matched with hubcaps. But, the killer was the width - I wanted the 35/12.50s... and the old Jeep wheels were too narrow. Once the Jeep is running and I don't have a 1,000 things to find/buy/install, I may circle back to finding that perfect paintable wheel...

Love those narrow tires too! True Old School!

CJeep

Scrambled
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Easton
State
CT
Thanks all for the kind words. What I have found recently off road is that as trails have been cut or maintained for TJs and Cherokees, the narrowness of a WT CJ is a real advantage, esp with the long length of a Scrambler. So why not run with it and see how it goes?

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
Looks very nice, and the narrower tire is a advantage in real trails and street driving IMO.
Strange how BFG AT's tend to rot befor they wear out it seems. :rotfl:

How much noise from that tread? Have you consdered getting them sipped?
It does help them stay cooler if you see alot of pavemnt driving.

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The 10.50 width looks great:thumbsup:

I thought about going to a 33x10.50, but with all the mud/sand down here, the 12.50 width is more advantageous:shrug:

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
The 10.50 width looks great:thumbsup:

I thought about going to a 33x10.50, but with all the mud/sand down here, the 12.50 width is more advantageous:shrug:
Yea, Mud and sand = 12.50" wide tires...flotation is your friend.
Hardpack trails and the rest of it = 10.50" wide and air down when you need to.

:thumbsup:

CJeep

Scrambled
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Easton
State
CT
How much noise from that tread? Have you consdered getting them sipped?
It does help them stay cooler if you see alot of pavemnt driving.
So far, not too loud. I expected worse.

These tires are sipped, it's one of the main reasons I went with then, over BFG MTs (either tread) or some other tires.

These tires are heavy. Even though I went down to 10.5" wide, from 12.5", and rims to 8" form 10" between the steel wheels (coming from alloy) and these meats, I feel its a but more sluggish on the road.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
White Wagonwheels. What was old is now new. My first 2 '7s had them on and I always thought they looked great.

Haven't decided if I like the current black wheel/black tire look or not.:confused:

What say you Scrambler lovers?:D

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I like both. Just depends on the color of the Jeep. On mine, with the faded white, I'd offer that white rims wouldn't look nearly as good as black.