• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Land Rover Invisible Hood Technology. Can we get this on the CJ?? [VIDEO]

dyldebus

Legacy Registered User
City
Encinitas
State
CA
Pretty amazing technology that would come in handy for those tricky climbs

[video=youtube;L7j1daOk72c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7j1daOk72c[/video]

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
pretty cool. six pack and a pizza for your spotter, after the trail will probaby be cheaper though.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Saw this earlier today. Pretty slick. Expensive windshield. I wouldn't want to get a crack in it.

Dain

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
I had an English teacher in HS that wrote the headlines for all the stories in the local newspaper. It was quite an art, presenting the subject of the story with a hook to draw the reader's attention. This article's headline drew my attention for all the wrong reasons. "Invisible" is clearly (O.K. bad pun) the wrong word for this. "Transparent" is a little closer.

Oh, and the technology is really cool. I can barely see out of my scratched and pitted windshield. Maybe I'll spring for one of these gismos. Can't cost all that much, right?

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Thats great to see where all the oil leaks are in my jeep.... :)

Sent from my SPH-L900

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
so what happens when the cameras get dirty?

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
As cool as that is - from a tech standpoint, it seems like it'd take away from the excitement and fun of driving off road. We've all done that - that blind crest of a hill. It's awesome.

I do like the idea of a wide angle backup camera with more of a bird's eye view - I've hit many a rock and tree that I forgot was back there ;)

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Very cool tech! Like Manhattan said though, some of this new technology is actually making people worse drivers! Now that cars can parallel park them selves or hit the brakes for you to avoid hitting stuff people are paying less and less attention to actually learning the skill of being a good driver. This technology (while I think it is awesome) makes it easier to not instinctively know where your tires are in relation to objects both on and off road.

84scramblertex

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Richardson
State
TX
Very cool tech! Like Manhattan said though, some of this new technology is actually making people worse drivers! Now that cars can parallel park them selves or hit the brakes for you to avoid hitting stuff people are paying less and less attention to actually learning the skill of being a good driver. This technology (while I think it is awesome) makes it easier to not instinctively know where your tires are in relation to objects both on and off road.

The technology is cool but you Nailed IT about drivers these days!

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I can't wait for the real sh!t to hit the fan 5-10 years out. A paralyzed accident survivor sitting in a courtroom, suing the automaker, because the pre-collision braking system didn't prevent the m accident, you honor, it always braked for me before when I wasn't paying attention!

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
I have owned a few old cars and 4x's and everything gets old and wears out. As you guys know to keep things operating correctly is a labor of love (and CJ's are primitive). As vehicles get more complicated keeping them on the road will too. These new trucks will get old and I can only imagine trying to restore one in 25 years.

Land Rover has a history of cutting edge tech that does not stand the test of time, For ex. , the height adjustable/speed dependent air bag suspension on the early Town and Country Range Rovers. Everyone I know that has owned that system, replaces it with coils. Expensive, high maint, hard to get parts for.

If Hood overhang was a problem, it seems to have been solved a while ago with Foward Control Jeeps, Unimogs, and VW busses. Hoods get dented and smashed what then? I notice they are not demonstrating this on a Defender, wonder why? ;)