• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Laredo Steering Wheel Question

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
I have a Nutmeg Laredo interior on my Scrambler but the steering wheel is black leather. Should it be Nutmeg too?

Also, I'm wondering if my steering wheel button is correct. Does anybody have one that looks like this? Even better, does anybody have a spare center cap like this they want to sell? Or, just the plastic "Jeep" button.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
Center cap is usually the color of the column, though I should note that my dash (original) was a tan with a western pinstripe surrounding it. Of course my Jeep was tan (Jamaica Beige) so I guess that was consistent. So yes mine was set up exactly like yours.

Last edited:

tom keyes

1981 CJ-8
City
Louisville
State
co
Looks just like mine. Only in a hell of a lot better shape. I had to remove the leather and replace it.

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Thanks. I found a new button. That was the hard part. Now, I'm looking for a new leather steering wheel. There seems to be a lot out there on ebay. Not too crazy price wise either. My big question is whether to go Nutmeg(ish) -- with my current button -- or to go with another black one. It seems like the the stock one would have been Nutmeg but I've never seen one on a stock CJ.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Matt,

If you do get a new one, I'd be interested in the one you have. It's in much better shape than my leather-wrapped one. Just something to keep in mind.

I still haven't decided if I'd be willing to shell out $75 for a new-condition one from Jim. :confused:

Craig

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
JeepWriter said:
Thanks. I found a new button. That was the hard part. Now, I'm looking for a new leather steering wheel. There seems to be a lot out there on ebay. Not too crazy price wise either. My big question is whether to go Nutmeg(ish) -- with my current button -- or to go with another black one. It seems like the the stock one would have been Nutmeg but I've never seen one on a stock CJ.

Where'd you get a new button and what did it cost you?

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
It's yours Craig. If Bill's leather-wrapped wheel wasn't the perf. type I'd buy it for $75. I'm looking for a smooth leather one though. Seems like steering wheels on ebay are reasonable -- $30-ish. I think I'm going to go that route when I buy. New ones, that are sort of like the originals, go for $170 through 4WD hardware -- ugh! That makes Jim's sound like a great deal.

Where'd I find my center cap. I found it in a barn in central Michigan. Bill (the guy who owns the place) had about ten steering colums standing on the steering wheels. I flipped checked them all out and luckily found one just like mine. It's in perfect condition. And $5. I've been looking on ebay for it for about four months and haven't seen one like it. Might be a rare type. Not sure.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Don't suppose you noticed if there were any other buttons there with a good "jeep" in the middle? My button looks fine but the little center button looks like crap. I'd like to get a better looking one but haven't seen anywhere to get one without spending $35 for the whole button assembely.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
As I said most were black (and I have looked at alot of Jeeps and alot of Laredos) actually I have never seen a matched nutmeg interior/column. If you are ok with a black steering wheel Omix Ada offers brand new leather replacements, but at a premium price ($165) I am looking into ordering one myself but have had to diver scrambler bucks into other needs (TJ, decided I want another aquarium which my last one cost more than my CJ8! this one I am trying to stay less than 2k)

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
wm69 said:
Don't suppose you noticed if there were any other buttons there with a good "jeep" in the middle? My button looks fine but the little center button looks like crap. I'd like to get a better looking one but haven't seen anywhere to get one without spending $35 for the whole button assembely.

Yeah, that's the reason I was looking for a new one myself. I got lucky. I'd keep your eye on ebay and rummage through your local old Jeep supplier's stock. Also, if you're ok at PAYING premium for it, I bet Collins Brother's would have one. You could probably email them a picture of what you're looking for. I'll keep my eyes open for you too. You're welcome to my center cap if you want it. You can see a picture of it up the page. It's cloudy in the middle -- bad enough that I wanted to replace it. Of course, I'm in that "nit-picky" stage of restoration.

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Jimbob said:
As I said most were black (and I have looked at alot of Jeeps and alot of Laredos) actually I have never seen a matched nutmeg interior/column. If you are ok with a black steering wheel Omix Ada offers brand new leather replacements, but at a premium price ($165) I am looking into ordering one myself but have had to diver scrambler bucks into other needs (TJ, decided I want another aquarium which my last one cost more than my CJ8! this one I am trying to stay less than 2k)

Thanks, that's what I thought. I was thinking Nutmeg might look goofy anyway. Maybe that's why they didin't equip them that way.

You know, there are usually 2-3 original black leather Laredo steering wheels on ebay at a time. Most are in good condition -- though some are missing the center cap (no problem for if yours is ok). Also, there are new-condition perforated-style leather Jeep steering wheels all over the place for $75. Might be a good option too. I thought about the reproduction wheel. While it's probably a reproduction of some Jeep steering wheel, it doesn't look much like mine.

This wheel sold on ebay last week for $58

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hmmm....that E-Bay pic looks just like a 90's XJ wheel. I have a grey one just like it off my Daughter's 94. The horn button is a little different, but the wheel looks exactly the same. XJ wheels seem to go for alot cheaper!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
what do you want for your center cap? The center of the button came off of mine and someone glued it back in, but they used some kind of petrolium based glue and it halfway melted the thing...

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
wm69 said:
what do you want for your center cap? The center of the button came off of mine and someone glued it back in, but they used some kind of petrolium based glue and it halfway melted the thing...

I'll have a cap for you -- freebie (just shipping). Not sure which one yet though. I just purchased a new steering wheel on ebay. It has a nice cap on it -- but different than mine. You're welcome to that one for sure. I'm giving my current steering wheel to a friend. If the center cap from his wheel works on it, you can have your choice of the two. I'll PM you when I work out all of the details.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Thanks! I almost bought one on ebay a couple weeks ago but with a ten month old and another baby due in April the wife's watching the jeep spending pretty close.

GREMUNTRIUMPHTR

Basic User
City
Anderson
State
IN
Collin Brother's doesn't have any Laredo center caps left. I checked when I was there in March. They are tough to find seperately. They only come up on ebay every great once in awhile and go for a premium. If you can find one in decent shape, my advice would be to grab it if you're really wanting one.
Greg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I'm not really even that interested in a Larado button, I just need an AMC "jeep" button for the middle of the button. My jeeps are all Renegades, but I have added Laredo leather wrapped grab bars to them.

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Different Dish

Just an FYI. I just got my new steering wheel. It's out of a Cherokee. Looks nice. BUT, it's dished differently than a CJ wheel -- flatter. It's not a big deal for me -- I'm always looking for more cockpit room -- I think it gives me another inch. The only thing I'll have to get use to is the turn signal is closer to the wheel.