Leaky combination valve

Skeltor

Basic User
City
Flagstaff
State
Az
I put in a new combination proportioning valve less than a year ago and now it is leaking. There is a small hole on the side against the frame. Anybody know what this hole is for? And what would cause it to leak?
EA6776C4-252E-4AE5-8924-F02C0B651C50.jpeg

Skeltor

Basic User
City
Flagstaff
State
Az
Anybody think I should buy a new one and hope it lasts longer? I would like to understand it, but maybe not possible.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Fairly certain that is a residual valve for the rear drum brakes. Drums brakes require slight pressure in the line to overcome the spring pressure on the shoes.

You could try buying a replacement valve and just replacing that part only. Having it leak there is just bad luck. But it should not be a common issue.

Skeltor

Basic User
City
Flagstaff
State
Az
My guess is it wore out fast because it is mounted very close to the exhaust pipe. I think mounting it right under the brake booster would be a better place.
Thanks @ag4ever for your reply.

Mancunian

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
I imagine there are many mounted by the exhaust, mine is. If that were the issue there would be signs of heat damage, your's looks new - in fact i think i have the same one from fleabay. I'll try to check mine when the boss gets back and i can see what happens when you press the brake.
It's probably a manufacturing defect, may be just a piece of swarf where it doesn't belong.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have had problems with the aftermarket ones leaking- it took a few before I got a good one. I had my last one mounted up by the master- works well but screws up the factory line routing. I’m going to place the valve on my current build down in the stock position but put a heat shield on it. I don’t think heat caused your issue though. I’m betting on a poor quality valve. The one I got that didn’t leak was from Summit.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
When fixing the brakes on the overlander, I ended up buying an original recycled part. I was never happy with the aftermarket ones and the different switch on it. It turns out, my original was probably just fine as I had a bad flex line in the rear.

City
Flagstaff
State
Az
A863953F-C5B9-4546-BC1E-69D1CA3AA7EE.jpeg On the left- leaking part from A-Team Performance on Amazon.
On the right- replacement part from Classic Performance Products on Summit Racing.
notice the replacement doesn’t have that hole that leaked. I thought it was interesting, thought I would share.

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
View attachment 80126 On the left- leaking part from A-Team Performance on Amazon.
On the right- replacement part from Classic Performance Products on Summit Racing.
notice the replacement doesn’t have that hole that leaked. I thought it was interesting, thought I would share.
Thanks. My OEM valve is leaking at a trickle. I'll need to replace it sooner rather than later.