• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Let’s see your drive by wire pedals

JPCRZY

Legacy Registered User
City
Lakewood
State
Co
I got a CTS-V pedal with my harness and it isn’t even close. What pedals are people using and how are you mounting them? Thanks

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am going to DBW ad will be looking at the mounting option this week. I will more than likely be building a custom bracket to get it position correctly. My pedal comes from a Silverado.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I took a pedal from a Silverado. Cut the arm into 3 pieces and flipped the center so it angles the opposite way of stock. Had to play with the angles a lot. The top bolt hole will go in an existing threaded firewall hole with a tapered spacer. The bottom I trimmed and bent to match the firewall contour and it will have 2 more bolts.
DF6B6FEB-118E-4773-9C15-BB31B2B29E5D.jpeg 64968A62-902A-46AC-8BE5-6EBA1F9662B3.jpeg

Just a warning- I don’t know if welding on the pedal with the sensor attached could cause problems. The sensor comes off with torx security screws. If you do remove the sensor first, make sure the potentiometer inside the housing doesn’t move while it’s off.
Also- don’t forget to leave room for carpet below the pedal. If you’re installing carpet, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I was starting to wonder the same thing.
Drive by cable is more popular I think. It requires less parts and less custom stuff, and people feel it responds “quicker”. However response lag can be fixed through tuning, and drive-by-wire makes adding cruise control a simple wire connection or a couple switches at most.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I ma doing drive by wire just so I can run a switch panel to operate cruise control. I may never need it but I like running cruise on the highway so why not have it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I ma doing drive by wire just so I can run a switch panel to operate cruise control. I may never need it but I like running cruise on the highway so why not have it.
I would kill to have cruise on my Postal. I fully support the idea of adding it if at all possible. You are, after all, adding an engine that will allow you to cruise highway speeds all day long easily :shrug:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I took a pedal from a Silverado. Cut the arm into 3 pieces and flipped the center so it angles the opposite way of stock. Had to play with the angles a lot. The top bolt hole will go in an existing threaded firewall hole with a tapered spacer. The bottom I trimmed and bent to match the firewall contour and it will have 2 more bolts.
View attachment 92113 View attachment 92114

Just a warning- I don’t know if welding on the pedal with the sensor attached could cause problems. The sensor comes off with torx security screws. If you do remove the sensor first, make sure the potentiometer inside the housing doesn’t move while it’s off.
Also- don’t forget to leave room for carpet below the pedal. If you’re installing carpet, that is.

Randy, I don't know how long it took or how easy it is to get a hold of these pedals, but I'd bet there'd be a market to sell them modded just like this for people doing CJ LS swaps. "Randyzzz's CJ LS Go Pedals" has a nice ring to it :rotfl:

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
This is the pedal that came with the 6.0 LS I got from a Cadillac Escalade EXT. Some assembly still required.

Attachments

• 6420C5DB-CF19-4C94-8632-1D3E7336F71B.jpeg
    6420C5DB-CF19-4C94-8632-1D3E7336F71B.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 13

JPCRZY

Legacy Registered User
City
Lakewood
State
Co
Cruise control is actually the reason I kept DBW. I use cruise all the time in everything I drive and thought I was alone but I guess not.

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
What controls are you guys using for cruise control? Steering column stalk? Buttons/switches?

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I used the pedal out of the 2016 Silverado that match the engine. The fit was close, but I was worried about breaking the plastic during the heavy right foot operation in the dunes. So I made a wedge so the pedal touches the floor when it hits 1000% throttle. That way there is no flexing of the plastic.

I'm also curios about the cruise. I have the BCM, steering wheel controls, and everything.............except The original cruise got it's speed from the wheel sensors, abs, or traction control.........None of witch I have. Hoping to find someone with a system I can tie back into the steering wheel controls.20210312_175216.jpg20210312_175234.jpg

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I just modified my pedal this weekend. It took about 3hrs total and was not that hard to do. I cut off the lever, removed the plastic foot pedal and flipped the lever to swing left instead of right. I then took some time getting the angle out correct so my foot is in a comfortable position when driving. I did not need to make any special mounts after I cut up the base a little bit and shaved the little bump on the jeep body from where the stock cable used to go through.

Attachments

• DBW Pedal (2).jpg
    DBW Pedal (2).jpg
    173 KB · Views: 11

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The earlier LS systems used 4 wires to control cruise. This is one of the reasons I have used XJ steering columns in my LS swaps. The XJ column is essentially the same length as a CJ column, but with a DD tip instead of splines. It has the cruise and wipers on the turn signal, and if you grab the column out of one with intermediate wipers those can be made to work too with a 4 wire wiper motor. Hot tip- if you also swap in a J20 steering box with the smaller spline input, a YJ Wrangler intermediate shaft is a perfect fit to the XJ column. Pics in my 81 build thread.

If you don’t want to swap columns, cruise is 4 wires. A power on/off switch, a wire to the brake signal, and momentary switches for set/coast and resume/accel. There are aftermarket cruise stalks/switches available too. Dakota Digital has some, but I think they might be rebranded Rostra.