• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

lifting

Brent

Legacy Registered User
City
Canyon Lake
State
TX
Hey Guys, I'm looking to lift my scrambler some and need some advise. I see the recent post advising with the three inch lift with either spring-over, body or suspension lift and having a hard time deciding which would be better for me. Currently I have 31" tires and would like to go to a 33". My Scrambler is an everyday driver, so I got to make sure I get it right. I do like to go off roading and would like some more clearance when doing so, just dont want to give up too much fuel mileage and money! I hear the spring over lift can be risky for breaking while off roading? I also hear the body lift is a waste of money. What's the best?

motojosh

Basic User
City
Missoula
State
MT
I'm new to Jeeps, so my :twocents: is worth exactly that . . . but from reading here and on other Jeep forums, the spring over axle (SOA) seems to be overrated, unless you're doing hard-core rock-crawling. It does free up some space, but not a whole lot, and introduces a whole set of problems, including the need to redo some of the steering components, and axle wrap (or spring wrap):

springwrapJPG-1.jpg

(Pic from http://www.dehesa4x4.com/osburn/tech/soa.htm.)

Conventional wisdom here is that 1" is about as high as you'll want to go on the body lift. According to JP Magazine, you should be able to fit 33" tires with either a 4" suspension lift, or a 2" suspension lift and a 1" body lift.

154_0807_05_zupdated_jeep_tire_fitment_g-1.jpg

(Pic from http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/wheels/154_0807_updated_jeep_tire_fitment_guide/photo_03.html)

Hope to hear everyone else's opinions, though, as I'm in the same boat. I've got 31" tires right now, and mostly use my Scrambler as a daily driver. I might eventually go with 33"s, though, so I've been reading up on the options.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
My $.02.....

My Scrambler is on BFG 33's that measure about 32"; I can't clear a tire that's more than an actual 33". I have the RE 4.5" Xtreme lift and a Daystar 1" body lift. I do go off road, but don't run extreme stuff. Bumpers, winch, a V-8, a spare and other added weight will affect just how much lift you can get with any kit.
For 33's, I can't see how a 2"-2.5" lift and 1" of body lift would work unless you don't plan to take on trails.

Mine looks like this flexing.....
U4WDA1-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
2.5" Rubicon Express lift kit and 1-1.5" body lift with Daystar poly mounts (you don't want metal "pucks" that go on top of your stock mounts, your stock mounts NEED replaced if they're still in there, it's a given)

Alternatively, you could just go to a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift and leave the body mounts alone. Either would work.

I would NOT do a springover (at all period) myself for the reasons motojosh mentioned, especially just to get to 33s. People who tell you it's cheap/easy are not doing it right/well/safely, there's a lot to doing it right and there's been articles in the magazines (who used to swear by them) that SOA suspensions are on their way out.

That's my :twocents: :D

cruser

Legacy Registered User
City
Buffalo Gap
State
TX
:crazy: man!!! all that technical stuff...... now If you were a woman and sayin all that....:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
My Scrambler is on BFG 33's that measure about 32"; I can't clear a tire that's more than an actual 33". I have the RE 4.5" Xtreme lift and a Daystar 1" body lift. I do go off road, but don't run extreme stuff. Bumpers, winch, a V-8, a spare and other added weight will affect just how much lift you can get with any kit.
For 33's, I can't see how a 2"-2.5" lift and 1" of body lift would work unless you don't plan to take on trails.

Mine looks like this flexing.....
U4WDA1-1.jpg

I don't mean to thread-jack;)

I just put the same suspension/body lift combo on my project Scrambler that I plan on taking off road. Not extreme stuff, but still minor rock crawling/trail driving/highway driving. I was hoping to fit 35" tires, but I guess that is out, judging by your picture:( My Scrambler will be similar to yours (winch up front, but no V8), so I guess 33's will be the max I can run, maybe a P-metric tire that measures a full 33", vs the 31.5" tall that most advertised as 33" tires actually are:fingerscrossed:

Thanks for posting this picture/explanation, better to see it here first then after I buy tires LOL:cheers::D;)

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
STAY AWAY FROM BODY LIFTS!!! (over 1") looks like sh!t and doesnt improve the off road handleing of your Jeep. all it does is let you put bigger tires on it.

I have had Jeeps with 4" spring lifts and I've had Jeep with spring over lifts. Time for my :twocents:. Both are good, but it depends on what you want your Jeep to do and how it will perform.

4" lift springs.... worked awesome for me when I first got into Jeeps. easy to install, simple and quick. The main draw back that I found was it was a rough ride. This is due to the springs having more arch to them. Flatter springs work better. No really need for other stuff, maybe a dropped pitman arm, extended brake lines and shock (shocks are usually included with lift kit)

SOA lift (lift hieght depends on thickness of axle housing)... This set up is WAAAY better than spring lifts (in my opinion). But there are MANY draw backs to this. You need to know what youre doing if youre gonna build this kind of suspension. Issues that need to be addressed: steering, axle wrap, the list goes on... This system has many benefits though IF DONE RIGHT...
smoother ride (flatter springs) and more suspension movement (flex). Axle wrap is a big problem. I snapped the output shaft on my 300. I was building a torque arm but didnt get it installed in time before leaving on a trip. Drove the Jeep 3 hours to get to the event, snapped the tcase on the very first obstacle. fun.

people who say SOA is cheaper to do than a spring lift are idiots. It is NOT cheaper, when its done properly. I paid approximatly $800 for my 4" spring lift (springs, shocks and brake lines)...
in contrast, I lost track how much i spent on my SOA. steering alone was well over $1000 (histeer arms, tie rod ends and misc materials), everything else I fabbed, including tie rod, drag ling, torque arm, all mounts. dont remember what I paid for shocks and brake lines, but i think you get the point, SOA is EXPENSIVE when done properly...

I dont entirerly agree with Bigwalton when he said SOAs are on the way out... all leaf spring suspension is on its way out, sorta. It will never be gone, the availability for aftermarket "linked" coil suspension kits has changed everything. But that a whole other can of worms.

sixshooter

Legacy Registered User
City
Hellertown
State
PA
Leaf springs are simple. I have built several linked suspensions and I have built several leaf sprung vehicles. I actually prefer very flexible leafs to linked. But that is a preference. The cost of a SOA is relative to your fab skills. If you can do all the work your self, including design/build the antiwrap bar, then you can save money, and infact when you break down the total cost of buying all the parts for you might still be ahead of the game. Also, if you do some homework and carefully choose your leafs you can eliminate quite a bit of axlewrap. Example: XJ or Commando springs lend themselves to be SOA beautifully. Many XJ owners never address axle wrap and they are SOA from the factory, and most are lifted 6-8" to clear decent tires.

Brent

Legacy Registered User
City
Canyon Lake
State
TX
After all the great advise, I decided to go with the 4" pro comp suspension lift. Thanks for everyones help.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
After all the great advise, I decided to go with the 4" pro comp suspension lift. Thanks for everyones help.

Do some searchs on their product, it isn't viewed favoribly. It's known for being extremely stiff and a harsh ride.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
what is the best comp to get my lift from ?

Rubicon Express and BDS are considered 2 of the better CJ lift kit companies.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I had BDS on my CJ-7... very stiff. I now have Rubicon Express, MUCH better!!!

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
New 35" BFGs, R.E. 4.5"...
IMG_0598.jpg

I love the R.E. - I have NEVER felt a single bump with these springs... Oh wait... I haven't driven the Jeep yet. But I've heard good things ;-)

bjordaneer

Basic User
City
Reno
State
NV
When I bought my Scrambler, the guy before me had done a 4" Long Leaf Spring Under kit from Holbrook Specialties. I probably would have gone through Alcan, but I would have done the exact same thing. No worries about axle wrap, excellent stability, and what a ride!!! I honestly never thought I would own a CJ because of the rock hard ride, but these leafs are great.

As far as tires go. 33s would fit perfect, I have 35s on right now and they rub a little when flexed.

I am not sure how much these kits will run you versus a SOA kit, just another option for you :cheers:

Last edited:

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
Hey Guys, I'm looking to lift my scrambler some and need some advise. .... What's the best?

It's best to lift with your legs and not with your back. :rotfl:

I'm a little slap-happy this morning.

abba07

Legacy Registered User
City
weaverville
State
nc
Not really sure if this will help but Im in the process of building my 8. I want to run 35 and find this web site helpful for a soa lift http://Rocky-road.com hope you guys can help with this

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That bolt on kit scares the crap out of me personally.