LJ8 - he's back...

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
After a rather long hiatus, I am back to working on my Scrambler project. This project started with the idea that I wanted a Scrambler with a modern drivetrain and suspension. I started with a 83 tub, and put it on a frame from an 05 LJ. The WB is 1/2 inch off, and we figured we could cheat that in the front end without problem. The engine and transmission are a 5.7 HEMI with 545RFE tranny from an 03 Ram. The Tcase is a 231 with SYE originally from an XJ. The rear axle is a 44 from an LJ and the front is a 30 from a ZJ (because we sorta had it laying around.)

The engine wiring is courtesy of coolwire and works well. I am ready to start on bodywork after getting it back from the muffler shop this past week. I think they did good work. We used the stock exhaust manifold on the driver side to clear the starter, and one from a 05 GC on the passneger side as it exits down at the rear, as opposed to the Ram which basically went straight back. I save the y pipe and cat from the Ram and with the addition of another upstream O2 sensor., it is on. The computer needs 2 upstream sensor, but could care less about donwstream. I am legal with the cat.

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
air cleaner

one thing that has been vexing me is an air cleaner. We had to pull the entire intake after it sat long enough the injectors were all gummed up and we were worried we had gummed the fuel rail too. new set of injectors and some cleaning etc it was back together. someone stuffed a yellow rag in the hole where the air inlet is. And we all promptly forgot it. It started and ran fine. however when you put it in gear, it would quickly idle up. we could not figure out why. we hooked up a computer and it gave some really weird codes. we were afraid my custom tune computer had something wrong. I just happened to reach in the inlet and feel something soft (I was expecting a mouse to tell the truth.) It had sucked the towel into the butterfly. Once removed, she runs great again.

Anyway - needed a proper air cleaner. I did a lot of research online and was somewhat confused. I found a place that sold a kit for about 120 bucks, but it looked like nothing more than a short elbow and coupler with K&N filter. What puzzled me was the inlet size. it is oval, 4.25 inches by 3.5 inches. I decided to check with my local O'Reilly in what we affectionately call the ricer aisle. They sold a 4 inch silicone coupler, 4 inch elbow and filter. we had to order them in as the 4 inch was not common. The parts guy offered the advice, if it dont fit, bring it back. It fit nicely and looks pretty good. 50 bucks BTW.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
HAHAH! I did the exact same thing with the same brand parts to fix my 4.0 up with an air filter! :thumbsup:

Great to see this back here and getting worked on. Congrats on getting it drivable!

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
was hoping to spend the weekend working on it, but mother nature not cooperating. First day of Spring celebrating with 3 inches snow this morning and a rather cold unheated garage. hope to get out later and start working on the flat fenders. need to build the inner fenders.

DougCJ8

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
SOA Member
City
Arundel
State
ME
Looks good.

Just a side note on the tube fenders. A lot of guys run them, but they are illegal. Seems they do away with the built in crumple zone of the oem fender. Personally, I'd run them, just giving you the FYI.

BTW, the info on the tube fenders was given to me by a Mass. State Police DOT Officer. Laws may differ in your State.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks good.

Just a side note on the tube fenders. A lot of guys run them, but they are illegal. Seems they do away with the built in crumple zone of the oem fender. Personally, I'd run them, just giving you the FYI.

BTW, the info on the tube fenders was given to me by a Mass. State Police DOT Officer. Laws may differ in your State.
If that's the law, it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There's a steel bumper directly attatched to a tube steel frame. There ARE NO crumple zones in a CJ. It predates the concept. The idea that fenders would make a lick of difference is absolutely one of the funniest things I've ever come across.

That's like saying taking the windshield off a motorcycle decreases the crash resistance... moronic.

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
richmond
State
va
Welcome back! Looks like a really nice build. Good heads-up on the air filter..I have to figure something out for mine, and was thinking about walking the local scrapyard to see about finding the right size pieces, but maybe I'll check out the ricer aisle, too!

Where did you get your radiator...actually, I am going to start a new thread on this...maybe post up a reply in there, if you don't mind.

-Mike

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
Welcome back! Looks like a really nice build. Good heads-up on the air filter..I have to figure something out for mine, and was thinking about walking the local scrapyard to see about finding the right size pieces, but maybe I'll check out the ricer aisle, too!

Where did you get your radiator...actually, I am going to start a new thread on this...maybe post up a reply in there, if you don't mind.

-Mike
The radiator came from tera-flex. It is part of the HEMI conversion line they used to offer. Last time I checked their website they did not have much left. Anyway - it is designed for a TJ HEMI swap, but the dimensions worked. It is huge, which is going to be a little problem for a fan.

BTW - Mike at 4x4 Land in Topeka ordered it some of the other parts from Tera-Flex for me. It was a factory blem (cannot find anything wrong with it) for really good prices.

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
Was hoping to get some work done over the weekend, but between the 10 inches of surprise springtime snow and my wife getting the flu, that did not happen. ended up with the afternoon free yesterday and got after finishing the tube fenders. These are from sniperfab in OK through Mike at 4x4 Land. I needed to add inner fenders. I had a set of CJ fenders already cut down for the frame rails and cut out the inners to add to the tube fenders. My welds were ugly, but they got the job done. got em mostly primed yesterday but did not get a picture.

The only thing I am not so crazy about these is where the front tube comes into the grill. I wish they had made it flush instead of seeing the tub meet with up with the grill.

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
picked up a couple bumpers off craiglist the other night. advertised as older Smittybuilt (circa 2000). Since I have an LJ frmae (well mostly) this works well. Front is bolt on, rear will need some help. It appears to have been a swing away at some point, but the swing away was cut off at the spindle (why would someone do that?)

I cannot figure out there handle system...

I plan to move th spindle portion further inside (it currently is right in front of proposed tailights) and change to a locking handle.

I also need to put a rear cross member on the frame first...

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
busted door lock post

I wondered what that rattle was when I was grinding/sanding...

Last edited:

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
picked up a sand blaster...:)

need a hood- tried it with just safety glasses and gloves, still picking sand out of my eyes and ears!:banghead: