Location of VIN

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Have an 83 8. Where on the frame will the VIN number be? Also, where on the windshield frame will the VIN number be? Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Craner8

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've never seen a VIN on a frame.

VIN on the windshield is on a plate attached where the windshield wiper motor is, left side between the dashpad (if you have it) and the windshield.

40below

Basic User
City
Fairbanks
State
AK
on my 78 cj, you had to pull tub and it was stamped into the drivers side top frame rail above the rear axle. FWIW stamping was full of paint and I didn't see it until I stripped frame of paint.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
I read somewhere that the VIN was on the frame; I don't see one on the windshield frame. When I take the body off frame, I'll have to look. Need to make sure it jives with VIN on title; VIN tag on firewall missing. May need to apply to the state for a state VIN tag but I want to make sure its all in order before I go there an open a can of worms...

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
If you go to www.jeepfan.com you will be told where to find the vin's. Now remember, we're talking AMC and their "quality" wasn't the best at times. So these numbers have been found in various places but I've always been able to find at least a partial number on the frame, usually after removing the body. As was mentioned before, the number on the frame is often covered by paint or buildup over the years but you should be able to find something.

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Partial VIN number (top side of frame above passenger rear wheel)

Also there are numbers stamped on the bottom side of the furthest forward rear crossmember. Can't remember offhand what those are?

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
I'm In The Process Of Taking The Body Off The Frame. Will Look All Over It As I Strip It Down To Paint Frame. In Fact, I Found The Vin Tag In A Box Of Parts From The Person I Bought It From; What A Relief. However, Now I'm Intrigued; Will Find It On The Frame. Thanks For All The Help, Craner8. My Daughter Lane (10 Years Old)said Add A Smiley Face..:) :) :) ..

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Chiefwaho, found them exactly where you said they'd be--top of pass frame rear, partial last four digits preceded by letters.. will follow up with the Jeepfan website too. Have decided to have the frame and body blasted instead of doing it myself. It'll be quicker. Thanks. Craner8