• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Lock plate retaining clip

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
I picked up a tilt column for $40 and the guy said it would need a rebuild and he didn't have a key. Bearing seem fine and there isn't play in the tilt, but the guy had cut the wiring when it was removed. I have no idea why you wouldn't just unhook it. Well I started to take it apart to replace the directional switch and there is no clip on the lock plate. And the lock plate is not aligned properly on the shaft so only the friction of the one tooth cutting a new groove in the shaft is holding it on. Well the switch is replaced and the lock cylinder is too, but I have no lock plate retaining clip to button it back up. I will try to call a dealer tomorrow but it is a little late right now. Does anyone know of a place to buy a new one?

I did find one at Year One that might fit but they are $10 which seems like a lot for a little clip that might only fit:
https://www.yearone.com/Product/DisplayProduct/342189

45349N is the same part number given for all the GM columns. Is there a difference? Will it fit?

Does anyone have one laying around?

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
If I remember correctly, 1968 and newer GM tilts are the same and use the same clips. I thought I had one in the top of my tool box, but I must have used it.
4wd.com has the clip also. :wave:

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'll look, don't know if there are any extras in my junk box.

All GM style columns with that lock plate use the same clip.

When I was a lot younger I "made" one of those clips out of part of a key ring. Won't say it was a good idea, but it worked...

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
Thanks for the replies.

Turns out the local Chevy dealer had one in stock and it was cheaper than anything I could find online with the part number.

For future reference the part number is 5694191. Googling that number it looks like they run 5-10 bucks.