• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Long Ago and Far Away (Minnesota to Ushuaia in 27,000 miles)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The idea was to travel the world, but a year spent seeing one "must see" after another eventually became surprisingly monotonous: drive to something, look at it, take a couple pictures, and repeat. Day after day. No other purpose.
Hearing this comment is interesting. I have heard it many times- I like watching the travel programs where people get a camper or something and travel for a few years.

That was sort of our plan once we both retired- a motor home with the Scrambler out back, traveling the country. But then Carol got horses…

Anyways, even on our weeklong vacations, I find it fatiguing to go day to day driving to see something just to drive some more. I think to relax and appreciate you need to pick a spot and spend some time there. I understand this wasn’t your journey’s purpose, just an observation.

Olin

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Williston
State
ND
Hearing this comment is interesting. I have heard it many times- I like watching the travel programs where people get a camper or something and travel for a few years.

That was sort of our plan once we both retired- a motor home with the Scrambler out back, traveling the country. But then Carol got horses…

Anyways, even on our weeklong vacations, I find it fatiguing to go day to day driving to see something just to drive some more. I think to relax and appreciate you need to pick a spot and spend some time there. I understand this wasn’t your journey’s purpose, just an observation.
There you go! Maybe come up with a list of places you would really like to know better. Then settle into each until you feel you've experienced it or get bored whether that's weeks or months. AND be sure to avoid the mindset that you need to get through the whole list! Maybe the first or third or tenth place just feels like a good place to stay forever.