HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
So, it looks like I’ve developed a pretty serious knock in the engine on my recently acquired blue Scrambler. I noticed a slight tick when I purchased the jeep, and wasn’t too worried about it at the time. Over the past six months the tick has become louder and louder and now it’s a full blown knock. It sounds like it’s coming from the lower end of the motor. It’s probably a main or rod Bearing. The motor is original to the jeep, and has about 150,000 miles on it. I’ve decided to replace it with a stock remanufactured 4.2L long block. I don’t have the time or desire to rebuild the existing motor, but I will do the swap my self.

I’m calling on the experience of the forum to guide me in the right direction in purchasing a new motor. I would love to hear your experiences good or bad so I can make a decision on where to make my purchase. I’m definitely not looking for the cheapest motor out there. High quality is is important.

Thanks guys!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Read the reviews for the Golen engines, definitely a mixed bag with some people complaining of failures after just a couple years of driving.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Read the reviews for the Golen engines, definitely a mixed bag with some people complaining of failures after just a couple years of driving.
A while back, I did a bunch of research on the Golen’s As well. My findings were the same as walkerhounddvm’s. I took a leap of faith and bought one. I currently have a Golan 4.6 in my green Scrambler. I’ve been running it for about three years now, and I couldn’t be happier with it.
With my Blue scrambler, I want to stay with a 4.2 L block and head. Just a good stock motor. I don’t want to have to do the necessary modifications to make a 4.0 work. I also want to keep this jeep as stock is possible.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
A few years ago I looked into this very same thing. Reviews for most of the "big name" engine re-builders are all over the place. Not sure if that is just the "minority of bad experience people" are louder then the "majority of good experience people" :shrug:

I bought a new 4.0 long block for my red Scrambler from Hesco, and had them rebuild the 4.2 in my green Scrambler. They are only about 6 hours away from me in Alabama, so it was convenient for me. Their prices are high, but I have been very happy with both engines :twocents:

But, if I was looking to buy a long block from a more traditional source, I would just buy one from NAPA. EDIT - just looked, they are not showing 4.2's, just 2.5's :banghead:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Most local machine swaps will assemble the engine for you for a bit more cash. It still wouldn't be as fast as an exchange though.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Most local machine swaps will assemble the engine for you for a bit more cash. It still wouldn't be as fast as an exchange though.
I thought about talking to a machine shop. I’m not into big of a hurry, but I want to get this moving. That’s a good option

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I figured I’d post an update for anybody interested. I ended up buying a long block through BJ off road, out of Washington state. They have been great to deal with, and they’ve done everything they said they were going to do. It was assembled with American made parts, and came with a transferable seven year /hundred thousand mile warranty. It ran in very nicely, completely smoothing out after about 10 minutes at 1600 RPM. So far I couldn’t be happier with it. It runs great and everything went back together without a hitch.

Attachments