Looking for a body all-in-one shop in northern VA...any recommendations?

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
Hi all,

I have completed the drivetrain restoration of my scrambler and am very happy with the results. it is time to move onto the body, which I am not skilled enough (desire either) to tackle. I want to drop it off (or have picked up) and returned to me complete and ready to bolt to the chassis.

To that end, I need recommendations I can have this work done. I plan on having the body completely painted and linex on both sides. There is very little body work to be done...one dent in the driver side fender, a few pin holes in the bed, and a little rust through at the roll bar mounts. Other than that, the body is clean and doesn't have any dents.

Anyway, can someone recommend some people to call? This is a once-and-done type of project, meaning I do not want to skimp or take short cuts...this restoration needs to last another 35 years.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I would look for a shop that does hot rods or restorations. Most body shops near me only want to do insurance work, I kinda get the feeling that is the norm, at least in heavily populated areas.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Check out Sterling Hot Rods if you want to go to a place that does that type of work. I have had some mechanical stuff done on my impala there, but the cars they have in there being built are beautiful.

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
Check out Sterling Hot Rods if you want to go to a place that does that type of work. I have had some mechanical stuff done on my impala there, but the cars they have in there being built are beautiful.

Thanks, I'll give them a call to see if they can take a look and give me a quote. Right now I have two places to talk to. The observation made by barrys is correct; most people around here are in it for insurance. Tough to blame them since that is probably the major revenue generator here.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
I used Skibo's Auto Body in Stafford Virginia. It is just off I-95 at the Courthouse Rd exit. I had the body media blasted and epoxy primed first at American Stripping Company in Manassas VA. Then Skibo's fixed some rust spots, primarily behind the windshield hinges, put U-POL liner on the underside(this is heavier than paint but not rubberized and hold up excellent). He did the painting and eventually the graphics application.

My build thread can be found here: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?37292-The-quot-Once-in-a-while-quot-1983-Scrambler-Laredo-Build

Check out pages 3-7 for the body stuff.

Good Luck

-Luke

jmarkel

Scrambled for Life
City
Fairfax Station
State
VA
I used Skibo's Auto Body in Stafford Virginia. It is just off I-95 at the Courthouse Rd exit. I had the body media blasted and epoxy primed first at American Stripping Company in Manassas VA. Then Skibo's fixed some rust spots, primarily behind the windshield hinges, put U-POL liner on the underside(this is heavier than paint but not rubberized and hold up excellent). He did the painting and eventually the graphics application.

My build thread can be found here: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?37292-The-quot-Once-in-a-while-quot-1983-Scrambler-Laredo-Build

Check out pages 3-7 for the body stuff.

Good Luck

-Luke
Thanks. I just contacted American Stripping...that's going to help. The body is in super good shape, so I'll be able to do any necessary patchwork myself.