• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Looking for help for a friend.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
My friends Jeep got sprayed with foam insulation.
He took it to the detail shop and they are saying it needs to be stripped down and repainted. They attempted to remove it with no success. The company that accidental sprayed it is going to cover the cost. They sprayed the walls of the main barn and attic and the foam sprayed through to the lean toon part of the barn were the jeep was at. F672DC74-B993-4F7D-9ED1-62F7ABB2BC13.jpeg Was wondering if anyone out there had this problem and had any other success besides a strip down and repaint. I know a free paint job sounds good… but my buddy is not looking to go through that process if he doesn’t have too.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
yikes... the problem with foam is that it is usually used for either insulation or suppression... I have a story that although not the same as this, was more on the suppression side... corvette at a gas station, someone drove off with the filler in the gas opening nad it set off the suppression system... convertible, foam everywhere... messed/stuck with the paint/leather, etc. They wanted to total the car as it was relatively new. Ultimately my friend got it back, stripped it, redid it all, but did require a repaint.

I said all of this as even if you get the foam "off" the Jeep, underneath it, chemically, it could have altered the paint itself... just something to keep in mind.

No good news either way... that is just terrible.

cb

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This is ridiculous to even suggest but I can’t think of anything else that wouldn’t tear up the paint too…

When I bought the postal, it had a good bit of some kind of thick paint overspray. It seemed heavier than a normal spray paint, maybe some kind of textured paint, I don’t know. It was on one fender and a good bit of the hood.

I didn’t bother with it in AK and left it until I got home. One day I was doing something on the Jeep and had a rag I had been using to clean my hands off with GoJo. For some reason, I decided to rub the overspray with the wet-ish rag (I’d just cleaned my hands). With just medium pressure, the overspray came right off. Kate and I each grabbed a rag and went at it and we had all of the overspray off in a short while. My paint is far from great, but it definitely didn’t seem to bother the finish.

This stuff is probably a damn sight different, but this is all I have to suggest.

Hate it for your friend, that sucks something fierce.

JFCJ-8

City
Middleville
State
MI
Jeff Suggs who owns National Overspray Removal Onsite Services Specializes is this type of Cleanup. A lot of Spray Foam Companies use Jeff. I've personally have seen him perform his services on 3 New High end cars. My experience with him was Excellent. google his business for contact info. He also use to have You tube videos posted.

Good Luck

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
Thanks for all the replies and help for my friend and his 3B. Steam did not work, a local auto detail shop did not work, acetone kind of worked but they were using it lightly to no ruin the paint. He is awaiting a body shop to quote a repaint, interior replacement, and clean & replacement of misc parts. I sent him the info on Jeff Suggs. End of story sucks... thanks guys!!!