• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Looking for help getting a CJ7 from Converse, TX to Erie, PA

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
A friend of mine just told me I could have a 1984 CJ7 that he inherited. The only problem is the Jeep is in Converse, TX and I'm in the northwest corner of Pennsylvania.

This is will likely be yet another distraction from my current CJ8 project that has been on going for 5+ years but it's hard to pass up a free CJ from TX!

I was told the Jeep is 95% restored. It has run in the past year or two but currently doesn't because of a dead battery. Based on the pics I've seen the story seems legit because the Jeep appears to be in good shape and mostly stock besides tires and wheels (31x10.5 AT's) and a shiny new Weber carb.

Anybody have any advice on using a national transport company or does anyone have any local contacts in the area that are in the trucking business?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
From my experience the most important point is whether or not it runs. Some companies won't touch a non-driving vehicle. Have your buddy put a new battery in it and see if it will run long enough for loading and unloading - understanding it may get moved on and off the trailer a time or two before it would get to you.

Having this information at hand when you contact shipping companies is crucial to price and whether they even will take it.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Agree with Adam on the running v. non-running. In my experience, non-running will cost $200-$300 more, and some groups may not be interested in non-op. Offer to pay your buddy for a new battery (and starter fluid, lol) to see if he can get it running enough to drive up on a trailer. You'll be buying a battery anyway.

You can get some quick estimates on Uship.com. Converse to Meadville, PA is $906 + uship fee for running Jeep. Montway is one of the lower priced carriers on there and dependable. I would trust any well-reviewed Uship firms and have used Montway and other Ushippers a couple times. You can also call Montway direct. I have also used ASAP Transport (Chris (800) 757-1178 Ext. 101) once. My go-to carrier was ADT but they have changed business models (more higher priced commercial moving). My main contact there, Brian, went over to Moore Transportation. His number is 972-332-1600, Ext #2. All these are good for quotes. Thing to remember is that they are all basically brokers for the actually trucks doing the pick-ups, etc.

Good luck with the new Jeep.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Thanks for the quick replies.

Unfortunately my buddy lives in the same town I do. The Jeep was his brother's and he passed away about a year ago. The widow wants someone to have it but isn't likely capable of putting in a new battery and getting it running.

I saw another recent thread about shipping vehicles and put a text into a guy that posts his route online and is looking to pick up other vehicles along the way.

I will also look into u-ship. Meadville , PA is only 30 minutes from my place so that would work just fine.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Unfortunately I don't have enough time for a fly down and drive back road trip with potential uncertainties. Hopefully I can find out a little more about the vehicle and this might be a possibility.

I do have 5 days to drive down, buy a trailer and bring it back though. 1600 miles each way!

I talked to one guy from Pirate4x4. He had some interesting things to say about using a broker to arrange a quote and definitely steered me away from using "open" carrier. Said vehicle would likely be loaded and unloaded several times and lots of potential for damage when doing this for a vehicle that doesn't run. He also said that Converse, TX is out of the way for most major carriers and that I should expect to pay $2k. He said he could do it for $1.25/mile but it would take a several weeks for him to arrange it.

Not sure what to do. If I can talk to the current owner and get some sort of idea about the driveability - I might fly down with my son and hope for an uneventful adventure.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I might fly down with my son and hope for an uneventful adventure.

No such thing.

I've had my CJ moved twice. The first time was as you described, and I felt really uncomfortable dropping it off with a transport company which seemed to be made up of Russian mafia types. It arrived, about a week late, and it was obvious there had been lots of loading and unloading. When I started it up the first time there was an unpleasant burning smell I never quite figured out. The second time it was a guy with a flatbed going to CA to pick up a vehicle looking to make some extra cash. That went a lot better.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
The guy from Pirate sounds like he wants your business. LOL. Of course, you should expect to pay $2,000 because that's essentially what he's quoting you at $1.25 a mile. Converse is a suburb of San Antonio, TX, 3rd largest metro area in Texas and along I-10, the major corridor from Southern California to Houston to the southern east coast. I'm sure he knows his business better than me, but that part doesn't sound quite right.

You cannot get around the angst in the process, and it takes some faith. I have transported 6-7 Jeeps in the last 3 years and could not escape the nail biting on any. However, they have also all turned out fine even if a couple were indeed late.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Get ahold of Dan @ Jeep Heritage on FB. He has shop west of Houston and he mentioned coming to PA Jeep show this summer.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Buy a trailer local and see about hauling something down to recoup some money.(would be slower and cost more in gas and tolls if any). Drive down and rent a uhaul trailer is another idea.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Talked to Dan and he isn't going to PA Jeep Show. He did offer to help any way he could though. If I end up flying down and driving back I may stop at his place for a 2nd set of eyes to ensure she is road worthy for the trip back.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Talked to the owner tonight and got some of the back story. The Jeep belonged to her husband and he died a year ago of cancer. My friend that told me about the Jeep is the brother of the deceased (he told me some of the story but not in great detail). He was the one that convinced his brother to buy the Jeep so he would have a project to distract him during his cancer treatment. Now that her husband has passed, she wanted her brother in law to have it. She knows that he doesn't have the time or ability to mess with it so she just wants someone that appreciates it to have it.

She told me that her husband and a few of his friends did some rust repair and mechanical restoration. The "engine work" was done by a local garage. The vehicle was ready to be inspected. Her husband took it in and it failed because the "indicator light" didn't come on. I think she is referring to the check engine light but this wasn't clear. Her husband was at the end of his cancer treatment and was experiencing some confusion when he tried to fix the problem. He did something that caused the Jeep to no longer run (unsure if it turns over). He died before he could ever fix it.

She is going to talk to his friends and see if the local garage is still in business. Hopefully some of them will have an idea what it could be. Based on the pics I've seen I know it has new Weber carb. The wiring harness is stock and isn't all torn apart but there certainly are some visible splices.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
If it's a weber, and it's not a California scrambler (maybe limited to a year or two of production?), then no such thing as a check engine light.

Somethings gone amok I think.

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
If you need I can go and check it out for you. I am about 15 miles away from Converse. I can assist with minor work to get it running.
-
I have used Ed at Longhorn Auto Transport in San Antonio many times- he is a broker, always treated me fairly.
PM if help needed and I can provide my cell #.
Thanks
Kyle

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
If it's a weber, and it's not a California scrambler (maybe limited to a year or two of production?), then no such thing as a check engine light.

Somethings gone amok I think.

Presumably the Weber was an aftermarket replacement for the factory Carter carb because it is by far the newest looking thing in the engine compartment. The inspection garage wouldn't know that this would eliminate the check engine light. Pure speculation on my part though. The owner also mentioned there is a box of parts that were "taken off" by the local garage that did the "engine work" because her husband requested to keep them.

Kyle - thanks for the offer. I will definitely give Longhorn Auto Transport a call. I'll see what the owner can find out from her husband's friends first before I ask you to take a look.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
There should not be a check engine light unless they've installed fuel injection. This may not be relevant to the situation, but it's over 25 years old and would only needs a safety inspection in Texas. As long as its running, stopping, all the lights (headlights, brake lights and turning indicators) work, wipers work, and has seatbelts, it would pass Texas safety. However, you have to tell some places "Safety only" or they will try to do the emissions inspection.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
There should not be a check engine light unless they've installed fuel injection.

Also unless, as I noted above, it's a select California model with a "Carb Check" light. I personally have only seen two Scramblers with that light in the past 10 years.

DSC08034.jpg

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Thanks for the pic. This jeep does not have that light. I'm going to give her a few days to talk with her husband's friends and see if I can get some more info. I may have totally misunderstood what she meant by indicator light.

I spoke with Kyle's contact at Longhorn Auto Transport and he gave me a reasonable quote for enclosed transport even if the Jeep isn't running.