Looking for some pictures of the factory installed air (smog) pump for my 1982 CJ8

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Hi Gang,

I'm getting ready to install the air pump (smog pump) on my Scrambler... the problem is that the factory service manual doesn't show the routing of the hoses. I have the vacuum diagrams and how everything connects, I'm just not sure how the hoses are routed and where the bypass valve should be placed.

If anyone has pictures of an actual setup on a CJ8, I'd sure appreciate seeing them. I'd like to make sure everything is routed properly.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Damn. I wish I would have seen this Friday. I have a completely stock 1982 California with all the stuff. I removed alot of the vacuum stuff this weekend. What pics/explaination do you need?

Joe West

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Thanks so much! All I really need is pictures of how things are routed... it is hard to find pictures of emissions systems on vehicles that have not been hacked apart. I don't have a computer on my Scrambler but I do have an air pump. If you have any pictures of what your engine compartment looked like before you took things apart; I'd love to see it.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
I just removed my computer for the MC2100/Nutter and have an air pump. Its not 100% finished, but I will send you what I have done. Also, my emissions tag is very readable. The only thing marked up is the CTO connections. They are the same on all the others though.

fmangel

Legacy Registered User
City
Iowa City
State
IA
air pump pics

The hose to the bypass valve is a little long. When i added the power steering pump, the new brackets raised the position of the smog pump.

Joe West

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Excellent! That gives me a good idea regarding the routing. I'll have to come up with the bracket that attaches to the valve cover.

Thanks!

Joe

The hose to the bypass valve is a little long. When i added the power steering pump, the new brackets raised the position of the smog pump.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
The motor in the pics does not run the air control valve. There is a line (from the pump) that goes to the manifold check valve and one that goes to the cat check valve. Both lines are not open at the same time. One works when manifold vacuum is high. The other works when port vacuum is high. I am not sure which. Since they are oposite pressure, I run a Ford control valve. Running too much air can increase your EGT.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Here are the pics. The vacuume diagram is the original one from my 1982 CJ-8 with California Emissions. Also, the CARB windshield sticker with the '82 standards. The air control valve has an up and down hose (cat/manifold). I am in the process of researching which line should be opened on port vs manifold vac and how to coordinate. Hope this helps.

Joe West

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Outstanding!

All of the shots posted here give me the information I need. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for me gang... I really appreciate it!

Kind Regards,

Joe

Here are the pics. The vacuume diagram is the original one from my 1982 CJ-8 with California Emissions. Also, the CARB windshield sticker with the '82 standards. The air control valve has an up and down hose (cat/manifold). I am in the process of researching which line should be opened on port vs manifold vac and how to coordinate. Hope this helps.