Looking to purchase a new winch

ddavis

SOA Member
City
State
KS
I am looking to purchase a new entry level winch in the $400-$500 range. I have narrowed the search down to either the warn vr8000 with the wire rope, or the Smittybilt xrc8 comp series with the synthetic rope. Both are in the price range, but which would be the better buy for basic off road use, nothing extreme?
Thanks in advance.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I'd tell you to find a Warn 8274 used and redo it. They pop up all the time for $300-400 and are very simple to take apart, clean up, and put back together. It is a MUCH better winch than anything else out there, and you'll have the best for the same price as a newer budget model that probably won't last 5 years.

Google 8274 rebuld and you'll get all kinds of info. I got one and redid it, and now have two more in my basement taken apart to rebuild.

Nothing looks better on a CJ than an 8274 anyway.....

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
stafford
State
va
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346961342.456282.jpg
Bought this one yesterday for $325
Tested it last night , everything works , just need to clean it up
I have two now !!! I love these winches

ddavis

SOA Member
City
State
KS
Looks like a great deal for $325! If I could find a deal like that, I would probably buy an 8274. I have looked, but haven't found one in my area, that's why I am looking at the two winches mentioned above. Does anyone else have opinions regarding the Warn VR8000 or the Smittybilt XRC8 Comp with synthetic rope?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I was considering the same two choices, plus the Milemarker SEC scout and warn m8000 (found on amazon for 550). Didn't want to buy a Chinese, but couldn't quite go for a new Warn. Ended up buying a used Warn xd.

Crazyredneck87

Basic User
SOA Member
City
Pomeroy
State
WA
Honestly I went with Rough Country 9500 Synthetic. Yes I know I know yall are about warn but I got a great deal on it picked it up at the local 4x4 shop for 320 with a deal to trade it in on any winch i want if it broke...

But all in all I would go with the Synthetic Line. I love mine I have used it quite a bit. Synthetic is just so much safer and lasts so much longer.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Looks like a great deal for $325! If I could find a deal like that, I would probably buy an 8274. I have looked, but haven't found one in my area, that's why I am looking at the two winches mentioned above. Does anyone else have opinions regarding the Warn VR8000 or the Smittybilt XRC8 Comp with synthetic rope?
Sorry, no opinion on those.
However this looks like a good option based on the testing linked in the post.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/engo-winch-sale-engo-winches-only-285-free-shipping-1238320/