• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Loose Steering

Raven

Legacy Registered User
City
Glen Rose
State
tx
The ball joints on the tie rods could be worn out. This would be my first guess.

Good luck

SC

Copper Cohiba

Basic User
City
Vancouver
State
BC
steering column shaft

I replaced tie rod ends, u joints, with little to no change.

Then I upgraded the old steering shaft to one similar to a Borgeson, & it was the single best upgrade for a fix.

Do a search on Borgeson, either here or google.

C/C

racinrudy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Findlay
State
Oh
I have often found a series of things wrong...all of the previous mentioned ones and often the steering box itself.

I usually slip in an AGR Super box II but I think you can also use one from many other 70's and 80's GM vehicles.

The steering box swap has become a "must-do" for me on any rig I restore now as it is my favorite improvement...followed closely by a V-8 :)

To diagnose, I often employ a helper to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth slightly while I look for why the wheels aren't moving.

Rudy

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Do a search on steering here in the forums, there's hundreds of threads about this.

Please don't buy a steering shaft first! This would be one of a long list of things to check and possibly the most expensive to purchase/replace.

list could include:
worn steering box
steering box mount loose/broken
broken frame at steering box mount
ball joints shot
tie rod ends shot
loose/shot wheel bearings
steering shaft loose/worn
worn shackle/spring bushings
loose U-bolts

As was suggested, the best thing to try is having someone steer while you watch for things that move that shouldn't or things that shouldn't move that do. It's a process of troubleshooting that might take some time.