• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Lowering Seats

brp0830

SOA Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
I want to swap out the stock seats in my 84 Scram for something that sits lower and has a slider. I'm 6'4" and need all the room I can get.... What would y'all recommend?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Unfortunately, most aftermarket seats are thicker than stock seats.

A slider alone might be enough, because it slides back and down.

I've got a half cab on mine (for now), and the high backed seats ran in to the window, so I could only slide back part way. I went with Bestop low backed seats, and they slide back a lot further, and I'm pretty comfortable (I'm 6'4" as well).

The seat padding is still pretty thick though... I'm hoping it will settle over time.

There is also a thread in the tech section that describes how to lower your seat brackets, if you don't mind cutting and welding.

Good luck! :wave:

brp0830

SOA Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Ok, I may not be in as bad shape as I thought then. I have a half cab(for now) and have the Bestop low back seats, but with a fixed base. Maybe if I throw a slider on there, it would help?

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Ok, I may not be in as bad shape as I thought then. I have a half cab(for now) and have the Bestop low back seats, but with a fixed base. Maybe if I throw a slider on there, it would help?
Could you re-drill the driver seat bracket to allow the seat to be mounted farther back for more leg room?